1996 38zx

Notices

1996 38zx

Old 05-03-2005, 11:08 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 1996 38zx

Hi all,

I am looking at a 38zx from 1996. NO steps and wondered what is the difference in the step/no step 38zx speed and criuse wise? The water is usually rough here and WOT is not that often.

How do the early EFI 502's holdup? This guy was no maintenace guru. THe thing is really nasty all around cosmetically, but that is easy for me.

I do know how to turn a wrench but never on an EFI rig. How does the electrical hold up too?

Any help is really appreciated.

Thanks

Mike
Old 05-09-2005, 08:49 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Re: 1996 38zx

What was the first year for the 38 ZX??????

I'd love to find a older one!!
Old 05-10-2005, 08:33 PM
Registered

From what I have found the first year was a 1995. I think they are almost identical to each other. The boat I am looking at is really nice. Much more modern looking than other manufacturers boat even in production today. The captains helm area wraps around you beautifully and the pseudo wood panel is a nice touch of class. I HATE dealing with wood on boats and usually replace all exposed wood with PVC or King starboard. I looks like the new guy at Donzi thinks the same way. I had to look VERY closely to realize that it was a plastic with wood look. The "cap" on this particular model is raised around the windhield area in a kind of bubble that gives the interior rediculous headroom.

The newer ones flattend the deck out. I think the anti-flat deck is cool looking. It has some jet aircraft looking air vents in the deck that must give the a/c and cabin fresh air.

I really like this thing the more I look at it. I hope the efi engines are not a frikin nightmare to deal with.

So how about some guessing at how fast this thing will go? The guy said it had the 470+ hp with Bravo 1.

Mike
Old 05-12-2005, 05:18 PM
Registered

As for me, I've never heard anything bad to say about the 502 EFI's but I may be wrong. You might want to try and ask this in a general format (like, opinon's on Merc's 1996 502 efi) in the Tech section or maybe the general section. Heck you could leave out the part about the donzi and just ask in general, I bet you would get a good results!!

Good Luck!!
Old 05-12-2005, 05:29 PM
Registered

Heck, keep me in mind if you see another deal on a older 38!!!
Old 05-13-2005, 09:38 PM
Registered

I will. I am still in between the Donzi and a 33 Bertram that I can buy half in on. I really want the Donzi and am waiting for a deal to come through that would put me comfortably in it. I want to haul ass!! I have owned a Bertam before and it was no slouch in fact I loved that thing, but it was only good for about 32mph top.

I'm sure this Donzi is going to need new manifolds and risers and was thinking about replacing them with aftermarket equipment. Any suggestions?

I will post a general tech question that was a very good idea Fun Home.

Thanks,

Mike
Old 05-17-2005, 03:04 PM
Registered

I put Revolution Marine exhaust on my boat and have had good results so far!!
Old 05-17-2005, 08:35 PM
Registered

I will check on the revolution exhuast thanks. I am still lurking in the tech forum and did some searching for old posts. I have learned a TON!

The list of items that need repair are:

Starbord drive gimbal assembly. Probably needs to be R&R'd I wonder what that will cost?

The gen set is MIA

I will bo through the boat and make sure all the bilge pumps are new and the thru hulls are OK.

The engine/boat hour meter reads 384. I think that is not bad at all. I can't see a single stress crack on the boat.

Thanks for the replies I will be lurking here for a while. I hope this thing goes thru and I can plunk down the green and post some pics.

Mike
Old 05-17-2005, 08:54 PM
Registered

WOW the revolutions look good for the price!

Where did you buy them and is there a OFO guy that sells them?

That is almost the same price as the stock exhaust. Really not much difference.

Mike
Old 05-18-2005, 01:56 PM
Registered

I bought mine from Gordo here on the board, do a search for his user name and send him a PM. If he can't help you he will at least steer you in the right direction!!!

Tell him I sent ya!!!

Quick Reply: 1996 38zx

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.