Old 11-28-2009, 02:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 26 zx speeds

just bought 26 zx with 496ho stock
what kind of speeds might i expect?
it has a 24" bravo and i was wondering if it can handle a 26"
(1.5/1 drive)
only had it out for a few minutes on test drive and it seemed to hit rev limmiter fairly quick.
gps wasan't working

thanks
Old 11-29-2009, 09:29 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

If it is the MAG Ho, then around 63-65mph if you are not in a high elevation. Some can run a 26b1. If you can then you may see 65-67mph.. Jamie / Lakeside
Old 11-29-2009, 12:48 PM
Registered

thanks for info
i was hoping it may be a little faster than that for a twin stepped hull that weighs less than 27zr that reportedly
will do 71 with 496 mag ho spinning a 26 b1 (time to plane is prety slow)
i'am boating at 500' and it is a mag h.o.
I was considering headers to help insure a step up in prop,
but thats about all i would do to this boat for now and probably ever. Anybody got any info on just header upgrade and if it was worth it? (lightnings for cost purpose)
thanks again
Old 11-29-2009, 04:56 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

Jamie is on the money. These boats like some power to get moving. They respond well to big hp. I would hope that the 27ZR would be a good bit lighter if you actually broke out the scales. These ZX's are heavy boats. The hull does not really loosen up good until you get it in the 60's.

The header mod is not bad but I doubt you will see much or a benefit in speed. You will probably gain some throttle response and possibly a mph or two if you hold it open long enough.

Last edited by ZXXX Donzi; 11-29-2009 at 04:58 PM.
Old 11-30-2009, 08:53 AM

Originally Posted by ghabeck
thanks for info
i was hoping it may be a little faster than that for a twin stepped hull that weighs less than 27zr that reportedly
will do 71 with 496 mag ho spinning a 26 b1 (time to plane is prety slow)
i'am boating at 500' and it is a mag h.o.
I was considering headers to help insure a step up in prop,
but thats about all i would do to this boat for now and probably ever. Anybody got any info on just header upgrade and if it was worth it? (lightnings for cost purpose)
thanks again
The 26ZX is heavier then the 27ZR: The 26ZX is all fiberglass and is a great rough water boat, The 27ZR was not as wide and is a Kevlar set up, less weight and less weight in the cabin area. changing exhaust may give you 1 MPH but thats about it. When I owned mine I dropped in a 650HP and she then moved up to 78mph. I sometimes on a good day would break 80GPS but rare.
I have done prop change outs and the outcome was always the same the stock prop did work the best. remember the 26ZX was 26'5" length and 5800lbs dry.
Old 11-30-2009, 10:03 AM
Commercial Member

Shanghied is correct the 26zx is heavier.. I had a late model one which had 625hp in it & I could hit 80 on a good cold day.. The average was around 75-77mph gps with 625hp in mine..

I also agree the exhaust mods may only net you about 1-2mph at the very most. We have also done those mods to the 496's. Not much speed increase, but it does pull & accellerate a bit harder.

Short story is you need big power to get movin fast in these hulls.. Most people buy them because even though they are not super fast boats in stock form they are wave crushers & ride like a dream and have a good ammount of space. ALso if you want to invest the $$ to do the power then you can have good speed, ride & handling..

Jamie / Lakeside

Old 11-30-2009, 02:34 PM
Registered

I will just runn'er the way she is for now.The marina called me and said my drive needs a lot of work anyways plus i need a mooring cover and some other expenditure's.
I do like the rough water capabilities and need every bit and then some running in lake ontario ,but it should tame fingerlakes prety good (all are close to me)
It will be fun for a while

any one want to compare donzi to baja?
JUST KIDDING THANKS FOR INPUTT
Old 11-30-2009, 05:33 PM
Commercial Member

No problem..

Hey if you run the finger lakes you aren't too far north of me.. Im just a couple Hrs south.. We are in NEPA.. Feel free to look us up if you need anything done to your Donzi in the future.. It's one of our specialties..

Jamie / Lakeside
www.LakesideRestorations.com

Old 11-30-2009, 06:22 PM
Registered

yea , your not to far,Ia'm just east of rochester

so just for grins whats ballpark on a whipple setup including
any drive work and a prop and how reliable?
this is an 04 with 95hrs and bravo x drive

I will drop you a call tomorrow if I get a chance
Old 11-30-2009, 06:51 PM
Commercial Member

Cool, Give me a shout tomorrow when you get a chance & I can go over it with you. I can give you some ball park #'s then.. Jamie / Lakeside 570-639-2628

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.