Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Donzi
Blew By BAJA >

Blew By BAJA

Notices

Blew By BAJA

Old 06-18-2010, 02:58 PM
Banned

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

OK guys I think I need to start a thread about how I have never been beat by a Donzi.... which is true. The first post of this thread has NO merit if the other boat had stock power so why bring it up.

As for the 100 mph plus guy's lets take it out on the big lake and see what happens.

I work on all kinds of boats but at any given time there are 1 or 2 Donzi's in my shop. When I decided to add another smaller boat to run with my clients I chose another Baja. For some reason Baja gets a bad rap on the net and I will be the first 1 to agree that the pre 1990 boats were pretty much poor quality builds but since then I would put their quality eqaul to or better than most production boats in thier price range.

Some of you I am sure have seen some of my work.
Attached Thumbnails Blew By BAJA-22-donzi-classic-001.jpg   Blew By BAJA-22-donzi-classic-010.jpg   Blew By BAJA-22-donzi-classic-014.jpg  

Old 06-18-2010, 05:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

BAJA gets a bad reputation because it is known as the Bayliner of Offshore racing. You want a cheap boat that everyone can afford, then buy a BAJA. As for the first post, read again yes one had stock power but it is a 540 and that boat runs 80mph. The other boat has a 454 with a Vortech blower making 5psi of boost, this one is not so stock.

Last edited by donzi-joey; 06-18-2010 at 06:00 PM.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:38 AM
Banned

Maybe you need to reread my last post. I bought another Baja because it is a better built boat than a Donzi. I did not say Donzi in my post because I did not want to be an idiot like yourself and degrade somebody else's boat but there you have it.

I have first hand experience taking them both brands apart and rebuilding them. In fact I am redoing a 2004 22 Donzi classic at this time because of a cracked hull, drive not installed correctly from factory causing serous handling issues and just a piss poor rigging job. This is the second deck and hull this boat has had as the first hull was so bad that Donzi warranted it in 2006. The owner went down to Florida while they were building his new deck and hull. He was able to do a walk through of the factory and he told me that on his tour there were 2 Mexicans doing a transom cutout. Mexican 1 stood back as Mexican 2 held the drilling jig and Mexican 1 said that looks good to me. Most likely the reason his drive was mounted on an angle on his boat along with most of the rigging on his transom. I have done several walk through's at the Baja factory and dam if I did not see 1 Mexican just good old American Ohio hard working people building a very good product. Get off your high horse and and quit bashing a brand you know nothing about...... make that 2 brands yours and mine.

By the way my Baja beat Cigs, Donzis, Fountains, Active Thunders, Checkmates, Sunsations ect ect to many of the stops at all the poker runs that I have been involved with over the last 2 years. Not the fastest boat there but I can run it wide open all day long and do because I built it from the hull up.

I also have this in my shop so my engines do not lie about what they make and what they are capable of doing. Whats your HP and TQ numbers again? Please by all means show me some of your first hand experience with both brands to prove me wrong.
Attached Thumbnails Blew By BAJA-dyno-004.jpg   Blew By BAJA-dyno-cell-047.jpg  

Last edited by brian41; 06-19-2010 at 07:50 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:08 AM
Registered

[/IMG]

The motor was dynoed by Mark at Precision Marine. Here is a link to the Dyno sheet.

Last edited by donzi-joey; 06-19-2010 at 08:34 AM.
Old 06-19-2010, 08:18 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by donzi-joey
BAJA gets a bad reputation because it is known as the Bayliner of Offshore racing. You want a cheap boat that everyone can afford, then buy a BAJA. As for the first post, read again yes one had stock power but it is a 540 and that boat runs 80mph. The other boat has a 454 with a Vortech blower making 5psi of boost, this one is not so stock.
then why start a thread beating your chest about outrunning one???
Old 06-19-2010, 08:25 AM
Registered

When you run around on the Mississippi in Iowa and Wisconsin, everyone breathes BAJA so it is always fun to blow by them.
Old 06-19-2010, 07:54 PM
Registered

I blow by Bajas all the time. Whats the big deal?

Ok Baja guys dont get mad but a buddy of mine calls them
Mexican Bayliners, gets a chuckle every time.
Old 06-19-2010, 10:20 PM
GK
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Baja is a price point boat and a good value for the money. Donzi is clearly a significant step up but realize it costs more and justifiably so. I loved my Donzi 38ZR but there is no way I could get the speed of a cat. Speed is all relative to how much $ you want to spend. Both boats are fine depending on your application and your own perceived value of how much money you can justify for boating.
Old 06-20-2010, 01:18 PM
Registered

I got a friend building a big block turbo for his 65mph donzi 22 cause us bajas where always blowing by him haahaa oh boy but its true he will have 2000 hp going in a 22 when done it has a arneson drive on it already but if he uses more than 1000 hp he will blow it. a client of mine from nantucket bought a new 29 donzi back in the day, his kid would bring the donzi back from ocean running busted to chit every other time out, he said dad I told you we need a cig bullit so the old man bought a 38 tg. me and my 650hp baja never lost a run against any donzis even the cc . well instead of putting 1200hp in mine I looked at other boats and went with a real custom boat a saber 28 with a konrad ace drive speed will be around a 100 or more. at the boat shows the donzi 26 or 27 was maybe 10 grand more than a baja 25 or now 26. my 24 has been raced apba and run for18yrs in the ocean it was a handlaid up boat no chopper guns, colors were done by gel not paint and stickers like you guys. anyone in the cape cod or RI area this aug or fall if you can beat me I'll buy lunch. so there still both production boats that are priced close with same power. as soon as we hit 3 or 4 footers I will leave my friends 2000hp donzi in my wake just as brian 41 will do to you with his 32 so whats your top speed if he is mid 90s what do you have for gps ? oh that 2000hp donzi will most likely pull away from our friends turbine 46 skater in the flat water well maybe not haaha. go have fun beating us baja guys I laughed for many years doing it to others here on the cape with even bigger boats. go gettem brian with the 24 the 2'' shortie made mine fly level and put abulkhead where the back seat is and one at the cabin it so its like the 25ol and 26ol. art

Last edited by AIR TIME; 06-20-2010 at 01:22 PM.
Old 06-20-2010, 02:04 PM
Registered

I highly doubt that a Baja 650HP would out run a Donzi with the same HP. I would put it up against mine or ZXXX and would guess that it would lose. What speed are you getting out of it? I would guess with 650HP you might be in the high 70's to low 80's

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.