28 zx good? >

28 zx good?

Notices

28 zx good?

Old 08-08-2011, 11:13 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Donzi Andy
The checkered graphic boat is at sweetwater marina in oshkosh wisconsin.
Thanks guys. Cabin frills are not important. Just a place to stay dry for a couple overnights a year if we get stuck in milw or chicago and the wife does not want the rough ride home. I sent an e-mail to Sweetwater . Its a 2000 for 59900 I think it said. What are Scorpion motors? Heard of them but not familiar .
Old 08-09-2011, 06:53 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by smoker62
Thanks guys. Cabin frills are not important. Just a place to stay dry for a couple overnights a year if we get stuck in milw or chicago and the wife does not want the rough ride home. I sent an e-mail to Sweetwater . Its a 2000 for 59900 I think it said. What are Scorpion motors? Heard of them but not familiar .
That's the place, thanx Andy!

Ooooooo, Scorpion motors are Mercury Marines small block 'Blue Motors'. Rated at 377 HP each as opposed to the 350/300 HP each that most 28ZX's have (and I have). I think they are 383ci but not for sure. They are screamers but some had oil leak issues (not sayin all of them, but knew of a couple). Other than that, a good friend of mine in the Chicago area has one that has done that same 92 mile run I mentioned earlier on 37 gallons as opposed to my 33 gallons and running 10 mph faster. Other than possible oil leakage issues, I believe they are pretty dependable.

I know in 2003 Donzi offered a twin 6.2 engine option and have heard there was an issue with them and the Bravo I 1.65 gear ratio. Don't remember all the details, but ask questions if you come across one as far as repair history. Nothing wrong with the motor, just blown drives. This set up was good for 74-76mph.

Keep us posted, let us know if you have any other questions.

tom
Old 08-10-2011, 11:11 AM
Registered

Heres the link to the one at Sweetwater. Seems a bit high for a 2000 with 500 hours. What do you all think? How many hours are the Scorpions good for before a rebuild? Do they have that big boat sound?

http://www.sweetwaterperformancecent...R0&veh=2141114

Last edited by smoker62; 08-10-2011 at 11:14 AM.
Old 08-10-2011, 01:39 PM
Registered

Fishin sux is dead on with the handling of the 28 zx. proven motors. the ride is smooth and they are nice to look at as well. I bought my zx earlier this year and have stayed on it twice overnite and if you are in hot weather I recommend a low amp fan to circulate the air and suction cup to the hatch. its a life saver. lots of support on here for any questions you may have. Great boat IMO havent had a regret yet.
Old 08-12-2011, 06:43 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I agree with Tug on the hot weather sleeping, fans help but a portable AC unit would be better.

Don't know about the life before rebuilds on the Scorpions, wish I knew more to help ya. as for the big sound, my friend with his 2000 28ZX Scorpion gutted his mufflers and she does sound mean! I'll see if I can find out from him how many hours you can expect. He may even know a little history on that boat at sweetwater.

Not sure how long that boat has been there, but with the end of the summer coming (sorry to say), they may take a reasonable offer.
Old 08-15-2011, 10:02 PM
Registered

i got a 99 28zx with twin 350's. going to list it for 33500. Clean on a myco trailer.. PM me for more details if interested