Loose engine mounts >

Loose engine mounts

Notices

Loose engine mounts

Old 09-06-2011, 10:04 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Loose engine mounts

Anyone have any experience with the engine mounts on the side of the the engine block loosening? I heard that Donzi has had some issues with some boats having loose mounts due to not have the locking tabs bent over from the factory.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:33 PM
Registered

Yes, my 35 ZR 2008 had all four mounts loose at 400 hrs. I can't tell you how they got loose, or how long they had been loose but they weren't just a little loose. They were like four turns loose. I was disappointed that two "qualified" mechanics had been in that area in the last year and not seen it. I found it myself while back-flushing my raw water system. The mechanics were in that area trying to seal an engine oil leak which they said was coming from loose oil lines that run up to the oil filer. That's the third time those lines have come loose. For what it's worth, my good mechanic says he sees a lot of motor mounts come loose. Just for clarity, these are the vertical stud mounts, not the where they bolt to the block.
Old 09-06-2011, 10:44 PM
Registered

I am talking about the studs that go through the tabs on the side of the block. The one side has probably the top nut three quarters of an inch over the mount and the bottom nut about a half inch under. Looks like the engine is hovering on the mount. The dealer I use claims that their 35 demo broke a mount. Like you said, I only noticed the issue because I was talking to the dealer about drive services. And he mentioned to me to inspect the mounts. The mounts could have been loose for two seasons for all I know.
Old 09-06-2011, 11:25 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They should be inspected yearly.
Old 09-07-2011, 08:37 AM
Registered

Yea, mine too ......

The question is why ..... The locking tab is always there, they knew to install it, but never use it ......

This is what I think ...... In most cases it just goes along for the ride, most boat owners never know it's there, engine alignment needs to be checked every year anyway, the shop never has to mess with it,

easy adjustment and wala your there ......

Now the flip side, you check alignment every year, bend the tabs (which can be a pain) and you break it, it's your baby ...... Then you have to lift the engine off the mounts to change it, real pain and pays the same .......

What I found on mine that might help some until your able to get maintenance done, if you find yours loose, wrench the lower locknut to move the mount up against the top nut, It's likely that gravity moved the lower locknut down, the top locknut never moved, which should put you back towards perfect alignment until you can get it checked again that's what I found on mine after re checking my alignment .......

After going through this I've learned to check it frequently, I also use an easy to see red paint stripe on both locknuts and stud to indicate rotation from a full torque, and I do bend the locking tabs, alignment has been good for the last three seasons, but always check it anyway ....... Sorry, a little long ......
Old 09-07-2011, 09:49 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 122 Likes on 77 Posts

I've had issues with the stock Merc mounts before too. I prefer solid offshore style mounts.