Donzi's Future >

Donzi's Future

Notices

Donzi's Future

Old 01-31-2013, 02:47 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts
Default Donzi's Future

What's everyone's thoughts on Craig Barrie leaving Donzi? Obviously not good for an already struggling Donzi. I know there are a lot of Donzi haters on the boards for whatever reason so I figured I'd post this here since we all have a love for the Donzi brand. I personally am attached to Donzi and would absolutely hate to see Donzi die out. Something needs to happen before this becomes reality. A few weeks ago Craig actually told me there is a 43 ZR being rigged with 1350's that's due to be complete in May. Doug Valentine however told me last weekend that this is false and just a rumor to try and hype Donzi fans. What's everyone else think about the future of a once industry leading Donzi?
Old 01-31-2013, 03:44 PM
Registered

Received 26 Likes on 14 Posts

The people that build the boats are all different, the facility is different, the focus is on high-end boats that no one can afford. Donzi is done. I think Craig being there could have carried something forward but him leaving means no one is left.

They might make it if they do a strong flip in their plans... not building anything less than 35 feet is a mistake. The brand made itself with the smaller boats... not everyone wants a frikkin Baja (especially the new ones they are ugly as hell).

Here is a concept: build a nice high-end smaller to mid range boat. The classics were innovative too and the brand has lost that... the classics had an entirely removable interior! awesome! useful! I can have a boat with a clean interior because it stays inside. Donzi's innovation is gone.

I thought they should have built a 27 ZR comp. They never did and now Outerlimits is basically building a 27ZR comp with their 29.

I thought a 27 ZR Open would be cool... they built the 35 instead... to the tune of 200 grand +++ Meanwhile Sunsation has been building MCOB's in various sizes without problem.

They priced the classic line out of existence. Hornet marine is building and selling a better version of the 16 at half the cost.

The entire ZX line is gone. WTF? that line filled a niche of semi-custom family performance. A boat you can go fast in and actually use the cabin. They sold a ton of ZX's over the years... instead of revamping it they made the ZR line. I can't write off a ZR as a 2nd home because there is no galley. I can't really use a cabin anyway because it's the size of a condom.

There is a market niche that Donzi could fill... it's between a Formula SS / PC and a true go fast. A boat that the average white collar guy wants. But Donzi won't go back into that market... they will continue to try to sell ZR's with 1350's and hope the market doesn't know that there are a half dozen other brands that do it better. The management is going after a grand slam with every sale instead of base hits. 1 Grand Slam a year doesn't get you the pennant, it gets you cut from the team.
Old 01-31-2013, 05:38 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How do they expect to build 4 different brands in the same buildings that use to house just one?
Old 01-31-2013, 05:45 PM
Registered

Received 607 Likes on 275 Posts

I'm a little more optimistic than Vette. Right now we are in a wait and see mode. Remember that those prices are full list price. I'd like to see something cool at the Miami Boat Show but it doesn't look like it will happen. ...
Old 01-31-2013, 06:18 PM
Registered

Received 3,020 Likes on 987 Posts

Originally Posted by tnc110
How do they expect to build 4 different brands in the same buildings that use to house just one?
Because they only produce a fraction of what even one brand was producing before. I'm afraid it's not looking good for any of those brands. Liberty is barely serviving. Pro-line wasn't selling, Baja moved facilities which threw thing with them in an uproar, and the drama with fountain made it seem like the last boat they wanted to build was a fountain. With Craig's ties to donzi (having worked for and with aronow) coupled with the fact donzi was the most promotable brand at the time lead Craig and liberty to focus on donzi as the most viable option for income. But the on-going cluster f*ck and lack of money from those in charge has put and will keep putting those companies in a nose dive. They haven't done thing one with Fountain or Pro-line, built a limited amount of donzis and finally released some new Baja models that have gained as much support from the masses as a yugo. Built with left over material and seemingly no passion, coupled with a price tag that's 20k more than its closest competitor (checkmate) I assume Baja is done for as well.

Not looking good at all. Smart move for Craig to move on. Unfortunate for everything associated with liberty.
Old 01-31-2013, 06:34 PM
Registered

Received 23 Likes on 10 Posts

vette is right in my mine i have a old 27 that i started with and now have a wife and a 7 year old son we made do with that for 6 years. no heat, ac, bathroom, or running water. I didnt want to loose the gofast but needed more room and all that. i found my 33 and it was like heaven. we can stand in the cabin cook and get out the heat or cold we stay on it friday thro sunday every week. wouldnt even think of going to a zr. when 80s r no longer good enough. i will just put in a bigger package. they should bring back the zx. i know alot of people that r looking for that type of boat. to sad
Old 01-31-2013, 06:43 PM
Registered

Received 28 Likes on 16 Posts

It's really sad if it dies. The name has such a good heritage behind it. Total mismanagement for years, now an investor group that really has no interest in any of the brands. They did fill a gap in the market that is badly needed along with Baja and fountain. Checkmates are alright but they never even had the recognition as Baja and that is exactly what they look like now all the way down to the interior.

Here at the lake older bajas and checkmates are everywhere. Kinda like mustangs and camaros. It only makes sense there next step was or at least used to be a donzi or fountain. Not all of us can afford an outerlimits or cigarette and we could get into a newer fountain or donzi, cheaper. The water patrol use 29' CC donzis and they look Rock solid in our slop. I have spoke with one about them( not by choice) and he said he loves it!

I wish I had the $, or someone with the $ would buy it. Somebody that actually cares about the name brand. Kinda like what skip has done with cigarette.

Stick to the smaller and mid-range boats ( the 27zr was very nice and quick) along with the classics, gotta bring back the zx line only makes sense I have no idea why they quit building them IMO they r a little slower but ride way better and have tons more room. They built a nice CC also ( market is getting saturated with them, being every manufacturer is trying to grab a portion of that market, stick to the smaller ones, with a few very nice bigger ones). The ZR have there place also ( if priced right) they are fast, good looking boats!

Hopefully they don't pull the plug.

Question, does this hurt or help the value of our boats?
Old 01-31-2013, 09:02 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

The only way that I can see Donzi again being successful is if they are bought by someone who understands the brand, invests money in infrastructure and designs, and can run a successful business.
Basically someone like Skip Braver would need to pop up and buy it, investor groups are the death of nearly any boat company they touch.
Old 01-31-2013, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 160 Likes on 72 Posts

I could care less about the value of our boats bc they will only last so long. We are nearing the end of a full restoration/ upgrade on our 43. It's going to be probably the rarest, most custom ZR out there but it won't last forever. Donzi has to live on. Wonder how much it would sell for
Old 01-31-2013, 09:34 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PremierPOWER
I could care less about the value of our boats bc they will only last so long. We are nearing the end of a full restoration/ upgrade on our 43. It's going to be probably the rarest, most custom ZR out there but it won't last forever. Donzi has to live on. Wonder how much it would sell for
Where do you run your 43ZR? Would love to see it when she's done.

Maybe this whole thing will turn out like the Hostess HoHo's, Twinkies and Ding Dongs......The brands have a solid following and history that there are now a couple of solid-ground bakeries looking to buy the brands/recipes/rights to continue on. I love our 28ZX and the other ZX's, love the ZR's lines, and love the Classics. I sell to the Dump Trailer/Body industry and a few of my OEM's I supplied to before the '09 crash went out of business. One of them (plant was idled, never BK'd) was purchased by another OEM that I supply to primarily because it was a great design and had a niche following and they survived the '09 fallout. Dump trailers/bodys and HoHo's and Twinkies are necessities (okay, you can debate the garbage food thing), and Boats are luxuries......but I cant imagine life without a coool boat!

tom

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.