Upper Swival Shaft Seal >

Upper Swival Shaft Seal

Notices

Upper Swival Shaft Seal

Old 04-27-2014, 05:40 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Upper Swival Shaft Seal

Found a leak on the starboard side transom. We were seeing the bilge turn on automatically so checked the engine compartment with a certified mechanic with the boat in the water. He said the upper Swival shaft seal was leaking. He said there are two ways to fix it (1) pull the motor (2) drill a hole in the side of the gimbal housing to gain access.
Has anyone had to replace this seal? If so what is the best way to fix this and did you end up replacing the Swival shaft and steering arm?
Old 04-27-2014, 06:19 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Pull the motor and do it the right way. -Those plastic plugs can crack and sink your boat. Ask Audiofn, I watched his Formula sink one evening.. When I'm looking at a used boat and the gimbal has been drilled with those stupid cap there, I wonder how many other issues were short cut.

While you have it apart, install the stainless swivel shaft (JR Marine) What typically takes out the swivel shaft seal is the Merc steel shaft rusts and wipes out the seal.

Last edited by Biggus; 04-27-2014 at 06:22 PM.
Old 04-27-2014, 08:01 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Thanks Biggus!
I had head the same about the plug in a you tube video. Hopefully we get thru the season and fix it this fall. Do you think I should wait that long? Would hate to do any more damage.