18 ft classic with merc330 and trs drive >

18 ft classic with merc330 and trs drive

Notices

18 ft classic with merc330 and trs drive

Old 04-03-2016, 10:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 18 ft classic with merc330 and trs drive

Has anyone ever seen one of these boats? My friend had one in the late 70's and I believe there were only two built.trying to locate .
Old 04-03-2016, 11:08 AM
Registered

Received 10 Likes on 7 Posts

----I bought an X18 new in 1978 with a 330/TRS set-up. Next to it on the showroom floor was a blue and honey standard 18 with the same set-up. I worked for Donzi in 1971 briefly and knew John and Tim Chisholm (owners) well. I called John and asked him about these boats and he told me at the time that they built 6 and stopped because of liability worries. So theres at least 6. I have come to believe that there may have been a few more, but probably less than a dozen total. They were very stern heavy. The boot stripe was at least 8 to 10 inches under the water at rest. I made absolutely no changes to mine and it ran 70mph right out of the box. Hope this helps.......Bill S
Old 04-03-2016, 11:27 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

we worked om one about 20yrs ago was tan and blue i think,we took it for a test ride and ran pretty good we also have a x18 in the area that has the bb trs set up it is for sale really cool original boat has a 502 in it now
Old 04-06-2016, 08:08 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by olredalert
----I bought an X18 new in 1978 with a 330/TRS set-up. Next to it on the showroom floor was a blue and honey standard 18 with the same set-up. I worked for Donzi in 1971 briefly and knew John and Tim Chisholm (owners) well. I called John and asked him about these boats and he told me at the time that they built 6 and stopped because of liability worries. So theres at least 6. I have come to believe that there may have been a few more, but probably less than a dozen total. They were very stern heavy. The boot stripe was at least 8 to 10 inches under the water at rest. I made absolutely no changes to mine and it ran 70mph right out of the box. Hope this helps.......Bill S
Thanks for the info.the blue and honey one I believe was my friends he bought it new in 78 I met him in 79 in Chicago.he owned a auto body shop.I had a 16 Donzi we had a lot of fun on Lake Michigan his boat did do 70 with one tab down for the torque
Old 04-06-2016, 09:08 AM
Registered

Received 591 Likes on 240 Posts

Used to be a brown and tan 18 running around Holland Mi back in late 70s with. A factory installed 370.

Thing heeled like a sailboat on acceleration. It fell of the trailer going down the highway , don't know if it ever lived after that.