38zr vs 38 fountain

Notices

38zr vs 38 fountain

Old 02-25-2017, 10:27 AM
JLS
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 38zr vs 38 fountain

Pros and cons to this comparison?? Looking at both.
Old 02-25-2017, 12:35 PM
Registered

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

38 vs 34 one will be faster one will handle rough water better , Depending on the boating you do ,
For me it would be the Zr because I do all my boating in the ocean but if I boated on a lake I would want the extra speed and maneuverability of the 34
Old 02-25-2017, 02:32 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 46 Likes on 23 Posts

Donzi 38 ZR and 38 Fountain Lightning, assuming your talking 07' and newer full staggered. I cross shopped them and went with an 07 38 Lightning. The ZR has a couple inches wider beam 8.8", is 38'8" in length, low freeboard, very nice cockpit layout and a very low cabin ceiling that at 6' I could not sit upright overnight would be nearly impossible unless your very small. The Lightning has 8'6" Beam, 38' length, good depth freeboard, small/tight cockpit, decent cabin for occasional overnight. The Lightning will be a good bit faster than the ZR with the same drivetrain. Lightning has windshield ZR does not. Donzi retails for more than comparable Fountain.
I was on the hunt over a year for a 38 ZR and looked at many. For some reason most of the 525 ZRs I looked at, the owners didn't do top ends, open up the drives for inspection, test the headers, general maintenance that Merc Race engines require, etc. Most were 1-2 owner boats and it seems the owners just ran the boats and now they are up for sale at full retail with no required maintenance done. I looked at one where the owner started it up on the hose and the starboard engine was sprayng water out of the header collector welds. It was followed up with " I never noticed that before, if I get it welded do we have a deal?". I started to look at 38 Fountains and found a few that were under maintained also but it seemed there were more that were maintained more like I was looking for vs the ZRs. It could have been what was on the market at the time, but that was my hands on experience. I was disappointed because I really liked the lines of the ZR.
If your looking for the best in rough water in this length, buy a Top Gun. The Donzi is built a little better than the Fountain and most likely will edge the Fountain in the very rough. I wouldn't hesitate to run either in the ocean or the Great Lakes, they are not inland lake only boats they are true performance offshore runners. Besides the really nice cockpit in the ZR, the 07 and up Lightning tops the ZR in all other categories and we are very happy with ours.
I feel we would have been happy with either one, hope this helps you. It would be best for you to cross shop and view both and go with what works for you and your crew. Take into consideration how the boat choice affects your passengers too. Good luck, enjoy the hunt!

Last edited by VoodooRob; 02-25-2017 at 03:14 PM.
Old 02-25-2017, 11:57 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

^^ well said ^^
Old 02-26-2017, 06:51 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

I have the 38ZR. Love the boat. Handles the water well. Mine has the 700's. A great boat for Lake Michigan or ocean. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck
Old 02-26-2017, 10:39 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by mspdoc
I have the 38ZR. Love the boat. Handles the water well. Mine has the 700's. A great boat for Lake Michigan or ocean. Let me know if you have any questions. Good luck
Mspdoc, what speed do you see with the 700's? Does that power suit the boat well in your opinion?
Old 02-27-2017, 08:15 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by mikebrls
38 vs 34 one will be faster one will handle rough water better , Depending on the boating you do ,
For me it would be the Zr because I do all my boating in the ocean but if I boated on a lake I would want the extra speed and maneuverability of the 34
If you look at the overall hulls of both boats, I think you will find the "bathtub ring" on each boat when sitting in the water to be about equal. Remember, the 38 ZR includes the molded in swim platform in OAL.

Old 02-27-2017, 09:21 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
If you look at the overall hulls of both boats, I think you will find the "bathtub ring" on each boat when sitting in the water to be about equal. Remember, the 38 ZR includes the molded in swim platform in OAL.

The 38 Fountain is going to be more nimble and faster than the 38 ZR. The ZR however is going to have a much bigger cockpit and give a better rough water ride.

I owned a 38 Fever and really enjoyed the boat, but the day I tied up next to Rob Crapsys 38 ZR the Donzi made my Fountain look like a toy. There is no comparison in the size of the two. As has been stated 1000 times, a 38 ZR is comparable in size to a 42 Fountain. Both models include the molded swim platform in the length but the Donzi is wider and longer when you discount the beak, which is really easy to do when the two boats are tied next to each other and the beak it just sticking out there like a broom handle. Both are great boats and I'd be proud to own either one.

If speed is your primary concern the 38 Fountain can't be beat with the same engine/drive package. It's an awesome well balanced boat with an incredibly designed hull. You can run the 2007's 38 Fountains over 120 without a hiccup, The Donzi's are good up to about 112 but it's not common to hear about 38 pleasure ZR's going any faster than that. The hull just wasn't designed to run much over 110. The Comp's are a different story

If looks and rough water ride are most important, go with the Donzi. If it's speed go with the Fountain. I'd be proud to own either one.
Old 02-27-2017, 10:36 AM
Forum Regulator
VIP Member

Received 1,195 Likes on 519 Posts

Originally Posted by Marginmn
... Both models include the molded swim platform in the length but the Donzi is wider and longer when you discount the beak, which is really easy to do when the two boats are tied next to each other and the beak it just sticking out there like a broom handle. ,,,

broom handle!!!! LOL!! I've never gone that far!!
Old 02-27-2017, 10:52 AM
Registered

Received 341 Likes on 119 Posts

Originally Posted by Sydwayz
broom handle!!!! LOL!! I've never gone that far!!
:

I should clarify that I mean a high-quality broom handle - not a cheap thin one

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.