Shopping...38 ZX >

Shopping...38 ZX

Notices

Shopping...38 ZX

Old 08-20-2017, 09:07 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Shopping...38 ZX

Located at LOTO. Looking for a 38zx. I've also considered the ZF as well. Anything listed or not listed that you know of, etc. would be greatly appreciated.

Anything I should know between years, what to look for, what to avoid? Any areas notorious for soft spots or rot? A few 2000-2001 boats with 525sc power that are appealing based on price, not my first choice in power. Can certainly go higher for the right boat, newer boat.

Truly appreciate any information or guidance!
Old 08-21-2017, 04:51 PM
Registered

I searched all over last year, found mine on the other side of the country. Continued searching since then because of buyers remorse.

I ended up with a 2003 38zx with about 450 hours and the 575SCi's. Its overall nice. I was warned in advance to check the headers for leaks; mine turned out to be questionable so they got replaced. My transom assemblies needed to be replaced too due to deteriorated gimble pins (that was a surprise). It was $200 more to replace new than rebuild. Even though the boat appeared to be in great shape, passed surveys, and came with paperwork showing the engines were serviced around 100 hours prior to purchase I still ended up having to completely rebuild them. I had planned on doing that but expected a a year or two down the road, not the first year.

Looking at what was available at the time I bought mine, and what has gone by since, I'm still fairly happy with what I got. The few I saw in person were in much rougher shape than advertised, several had some major damage and rot inside the anchor locker. The older models have a habit of getting soggy in the transom area due to the cleat and hatch hinge placements. Others had a good amount of deterioration around the cockpit which to me was a red flag in regards to how well the rest was maintained. In most cases those had much more serious problems upon looking deeper.

Hope I don't offend anyone saying this: The few you'll see in the usual places have been for sale a long time. There are reasons for that you'll figure out fairly quickly upon seeing them. The good ones all seem to be getting used by their owners and not for sale nowadays. Most are 15-20 years old now and are going to have problems of some sort regardless.

No matter which one you buy if you aren't prepared to replace the exhaust and rebuild the engines from day one you should be shopping for something newer. You could get lucky and never have to worry about it but if you aren't and they tear up, you're gonna be pretty upset. They are very heavy (the 38zx) and the outdrives take most of the beatings. Everyone I know with one has replaced them a few times in the time of ownership. The ride is amazing, the cabin is the best you'll find on a boat of this size and type. You wont ever be the fastest at the poker run, but you'll be fast enough and extremely comfy doing it.
Old 08-22-2017, 07:31 AM
Registered

Thanks Belli, Some great info in here, especially on the transom assembly's. I did read a bit on the possible rot issues. Uhhhhgh...so difficult to vet these boats remotely. As you said, it's one thing to get a survey, another to actually stand ON the boat yourself and get a feel for how it was taken care of.
Old 08-22-2017, 08:58 AM
Registered

There is a 99 38ZX here in Atlanta. Under 300 hours on the boat, 8 hours on the engines. Boat is red and white and 100% freshwater, Completely rebuilt 525 SC's massaged to 600HP, HP XR Drives that are all brand new (gimbles, drives, etc). Boat has totally been gone through and in near mint condition. Everything works as it should and if it didn't work, it was replaced. Boat is owned by a very reputable marine engine builder here in Atlanta I guarantee you will not find one in better condition. He built my Apache engines. PM me if you are interested and I will forward his number and you can talk with him directly.
Old 08-22-2017, 11:25 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by mleslie951
There is a 99 38ZX here in Atlanta. Under 300 hours on the boat, 8 hours on the engines. Boat is red and white and 100% freshwater, Completely rebuilt 525 SC's massaged to 600HP, HP XR Drives that are all brand new (gimbles, drives, etc). Boat has totally been gone through and in near mint condition. Everything works as it should and if it didn't work, it was replaced. Boat is owned by a very reputable marine engine builder here in Atlanta I guarantee you will not find one in better condition. He built my Apache engines. PM me if you are interested and I will forward his number and you can talk with him directly.
I can vouch for this one. Thats my buddy GG's boat, he built my engines too. It was not for sale when I was buying. His is as mechanically solid as they come, virtually brand new, paint corrected, new AC, new everything. Sits inside a climate controlled warehouse. Even has a matching tow rig to go with it if you wanted. Downside is that its going to seem to be too expensive if you don't understand the actual costs involved keeping one of these things like new. hes asking north of 110k and after overhauling mine I see it as a bargain. If I could do it all over this would have been the one I bought. I ended up doing everything he did and came out spending more and taking 7 months to do. The only option it does not have is a genset which I had added during my rerig which was a real PITA.

He is selling it because the COE won't allow him to dredge his dock deep enough to keep it there.

Last edited by Belli; 08-22-2017 at 11:32 AM.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:40 PM
Registered

Wow...sounds great. I tried to PM you mleslie951...your inbox is full.

Scott
Old 08-22-2017, 12:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Escrowdog
Wow...sounds great. I tried to PM you mleslie951...your inbox is full.

Scott
I shot you his info. We are talking about the same boat.
Old 08-22-2017, 12:51 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Belli
I shot you his info. We are talking about the same boat.
Thanks!

Might be out of my price range, we'll see. Greatly appreciated!
Old 08-22-2017, 02:38 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Most times, the cheapest way out is the most expensive way in.

Ken
Old 08-26-2017, 07:45 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 2 Posts

Mines for sale

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.