38 ZF Helm seat attachment

Notices

38 ZF Helm seat attachment

Old 02-10-2018, 07:14 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default 38 ZF Helm seat attachment

Hi;

I'm replacing the frame on my helm seats, and also adding a second row of helm seats on my 38 ZF (open). Does anyone know how the helm seat frames are attached the floor? Are they just screwed into the hull stringers?

thanks for your help!
eboch
Old 02-11-2018, 11:20 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I'm assuming donzi did them the same way. Tried to remove mine yesterday and most just spun and wouldn't tighten or loosen.
Old 02-11-2018, 12:59 PM
Registered

JRalston;

Thx for the info. It sounds like they may have put the receiving nuts into the fiberglass. I've seen this on the seat-pedestals on my checkmate. Very difficult to deal with. Had to cut the screw heads off with an angle grinder.

DonziDirect suggested getting access to the underside of the floor by way of the battery locker .... but I don't think theres enough space to get in there and hold washers/nuts behind the seat-frame hold-down bolts.

How thick is the floor panel on these boats? and are the screw points for the seat base right and left of the gas tank? .... or directly overtop of the tank? How much space is there between the top of the gas tank and the underside of the floor?

I appreciate any info. I have only a short timeslot to do this seat replacement .... so I'm trying to sort out exactly what I need to do.

Cheers
eboch
Old 02-11-2018, 02:14 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Mine has an access panel between the bolsters. There was enough room between the floor and the tank to get my hand and arm but arm was not long enough to get to the seat frame
Old 02-12-2018, 04:06 AM
Registered

Thanks for this Info.... at least it seems likely that some holes can be drilled through the floor without damaging the tank.

how thick is the floor? I ask because I think some blond anchor bolts may work ....the kind that fan out when tightened.

What size are the screws holding your seats down?

thanks again for all the [valuable] info!

cheers
eboch
Old 02-12-2018, 11:44 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

not sure of the thickness of the floor but I believe the anchor bolts could work.
Old 02-20-2018, 05:59 PM
Registered

Try the guys at Double R performance in Orillia Ontario. They installed a second set of bolsters in a 38ZF a year ago. I can’t recall if it was done at their shop in Orillia or at Nortech in Florida. Ask for Ray or Peter Roberts.