Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Owners Forum > Donzi
Potential 38ZR Newbie >

Potential 38ZR Newbie

Notices

Potential 38ZR Newbie

Old 01-02-2019, 11:02 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

I've been around a lot of Fountains but have only ridden in a 42 so I can't compare. I can only comment on my experience owning a ZR. I have a Donzi 35 ZR. Same deck height and overall layout, just missing the stagger. This boat has exceeded all my expectations. The rigging is rock solid. Everything is overbuilt. Whenever a bolt is placed, it seems like it is double the size it needs to be. Running with boats of same size and power, the hull seems to be more stable and I usually outrun them. The hull doesn't seem to have any nasty habits, I've never felt chine walk or instability at the speed range my 496 HOs can produce.

My only knock is around the docks. My Sunsation Dominator felt like a skid steer with its great dock manners. My Donzi with props spinning in is a handful and requires a lot more work to get it to behave. I imagine the 38 would be worse and I know someone with a 43 that loathes it.

But, if you stay away from the docks and you're just hauling ass, you're going to be smiling the whole time.
Old 01-02-2019, 01:36 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 84 Likes on 31 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus

This post is comical. First let’s address the history of the zrc/zr1 that came from fountain lineage. It’s a damn near direct slash of a fountain bottom, with changes made to settle the boat down and hope for an advantage in turns over the fountain hull on the race course. The zrc/zr is a great boat, but the advantage they were seeking never panned out.

The zr does have nice fit and finish, but when compared to a fountain of the same year (2007 plus) with the premier cabin there is no advantage to the Donzi over a fountain. Comparing an older model (which most people see) is not even in the ball park. And to make a notion that the Donzi which included the molded swim platform is some huge size advantage is comical. The first time I stepped in the cabin of a 43zr I scraped the skin off my back bone, the owner replied (yeah, you have to back in)

The zr is a nice boat, but apples to apples on 2007 plus fountain the fountain will have an advantage in speed, with no compromise in handling. It will also have better resale as they are more desired overall in the marketplace. If the Donzi has any advantage it would be that your chances of running into another zr at a poker run is slim, and that won’t be the case with a fountain. So if that’s a concern, buy the Donzi.

My question for the OP is: you loved the handling of your 35 fountain, why look to change? It’s only going to get better with more size of the same brand. Fountain still dominates the race course in super vee. Where are the Donzi zrc race boats?

While I will agree with you, taste and fit and finish are comparable in both the Donzi and the Fountain, I must correct some of your info.
The Zrc and Zr have no ties at all to Fountain. I know the whole history of the design and many of the people from the design team involved. The Zr and Zrc are two completely different boats as it is.
As for the ride, I have run in many different V bottom boats and will tell you that the Zrc and Zr will out handle and be more settled (while still retaining great speed) than any other V out there.
Yes some are faster.
The cabin room is tight but that was to keep the deck flat and sleek.
As far as resale, there is no real difference. All boats depend on the condition, options, market, etc.
Yes there are fewer Zrs out there than 35-42 Fountains, but Donzi only made these boats in mass from 2005-2010. (From 2011-Today they made less than a dozen.)
Compare that to twin step Fountains (apples to apples) - 1996 to 2016.
Less produced could actually drive the price up.

Last edited by Tom A.; 01-02-2019 at 01:41 PM.
Old 01-02-2019, 08:15 PM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Tom A.
While I will agree with you, taste and fit and finish are comparable in both the Donzi and the Fountain, I must correct some of your info.
The Zrc and Zr have no ties at all to Fountain. I know the whole history of the design and many of the people from the design team involved. The Zr and Zrc are two completely different boats as it is.
As for the ride, I have run in many different V bottom boats and will tell you that the Zrc and Zr will out handle and be more settled (while still retaining great speed) than any other V out there.
Yes some are faster.
The cabin room is tight but that was to keep the deck flat and sleek.
As far as resale, there is no real difference. All boats depend on the condition, options, market, etc.
Yes there are fewer Zrs out there than 35-42 Fountains, but Donzi only made these boats in mass from 2005-2010. (From 2011-Today they made less than a dozen.)
Compare that to twin step Fountains (apples to apples) - 1996 to 2016.
Less produced could actually drive the price up.

ill agree with you except the fact that the zrc designer was an ex fountain employee and there was a pending lawsuit before the market crash based on key hydrodynamic features.

Old 01-02-2019, 08:18 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by Captain YARRR
I've been around a lot of Fountains but have only ridden in a 42 so I can't compare. I can only comment on my experience owning a ZR. I have a Donzi 35 ZR. Same deck height and overall layout, just missing the stagger. This boat has exceeded all my expectations. The rigging is rock solid. Everything is overbuilt. Whenever a bolt is placed, it seems like it is double the size it needs to be. Running with boats of same size and power, the hull seems to be more stable and I usually outrun them. The hull doesn't seem to have any nasty habits, I've never felt chine walk or instability at the speed range my 496 HOs can produce.

My only knock is around the docks. My Sunsation Dominator felt like a skid steer with its great dock manners. My Donzi with props spinning in is a handful and requires a lot more work to get it to behave. I imagine the 38 would be worse and I know someone with a 43 that loathes it.

But, if you stay away from the docks and you're just hauling ass, you're going to be smiling the whole time.
trim up the lower units it will behave better
Old 01-02-2019, 08:38 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1,125 Likes on 475 Posts

Originally Posted by bblythe
Made a difference on my Fountain CC. With engines at neutral trim and a notched transom, the engine in reverse would provide reverse thrust but some of that was negated by the propwash hitting the notch and pushing forward on the hull. Trim the engines up a little and the propwash is directed down slightly, missing the notch.

I can't speak for all boats but it's worth trying.

RR

Old 01-03-2019, 07:36 AM
Registered

Received 29 Likes on 11 Posts

Originally Posted by bblythe
That definitely helps big time. But still not the same.
Old 11-23-2020, 01:49 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

both very good boat brands
Old 11-30-2020, 03:52 PM
Registered

Received 108 Likes on 65 Posts

Originally Posted by 4bus

ill agree with you except the fact that the zrc designer was an ex fountain employee and there was a pending lawsuit before the market crash based on key hydrodynamic features.

These are always the most fun posts to read in the winter...but you guys forgot about the Cigarette comparison!!!! hehe.... I love Donzi and the 42 Fountains!