Notices

Hard Shifting

Old 04-18-2007, 01:58 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Default Hard Shifting

my bravo is very hard to get into reverse.i disconnected the shifter at the motor,shifter moves easy.i pulled the drive and lower shifter cable moves easy.someone told me that with the lower cable connected to drive it can bind on the inside of cable casing.is this true?can my problem be in the drive?i service my drive every 20 hrs with synthetic fluid and no metal on drain plug.
Old 04-18-2007, 04:42 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

awesome,
Check to see if there is any crimps or kinks in the cable. If there is, it should move fairly hard, but you say the lower cable moves freely.
First rule, you must rotate the input shaft while shifting!!!
Second rule, see first rule again.
With the drive off, it is possible to shift the drive while rotating the input shaft. I use a finish nail with a brass bead on the end. Fits in the shifter pretty good. Then you can shift it from fwd to neut, to rev.. it should move the same in each gear and direction. There is a detent ball that you are fighting, with a strong spring.. So it will snap into each position.. If if doesnt, then the shift linkage inside may have problems.
If you get that far.. and still have a problem, and feel you want to go inside the drive it is probably easier to explain on the phone..

D*ck
616-335-8446
Old 04-18-2007, 05:49 PM
Registered

Hey Awesome I had the same problem with shifting into reverse, but had some metal in the oil....getting the outdrive rebuilt(mostly in the upper) and also getting a new gimbal hopefully this will help mine. I think it's getting a new cable, suspecting that was the problem.....will let you know when I see it.
Old 04-18-2007, 10:51 PM
Registered

i am having the same problem. shift easy into forward and very hard to get in to reverse. It started after i pulled the drive then put i back on and changed fluid. what do i need to do ?
Old 04-19-2007, 07:32 AM
Registered

mine shifts into forward no problem,its only in reverse thats hard.i think i should put a cable in just cause.mr g i did take the back cover off and lube the detent ball and spring,but no luck.i think i will do the cable this weekend and see what happens.may call you next week.camp did they find anything wrong in the upper drive?
Old 04-19-2007, 06:40 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by awsomethunder
camp did they find anything wrong in the upper drive?
Some of the gears had some wear and some kind of washer or spacer was chewed up, was going back together today with all new stuff, will have better details when I get the bill
Old 04-29-2007, 09:25 AM
Registered

hey Awesome, got the boat home yesterday, Upper gears were chewed up and the shift cable was kinda stiff. Have'nt lake tested it yet put think it was a combo of both that made it hard shifting.Any luck with yours?
Old 04-30-2007, 06:26 AM
Registered

camp can you look at the routing of your shift cable.mine makes a 90 degree turn into the bell housing.i don't think it should be like that
Old 04-30-2007, 09:03 PM
Registered

It comes off the throttle linkage then inbetween steering rack and exhaust then through the housing, I try to post a pic tomorrow if the weather still good, no 90 turn just slight bend
Old 05-01-2007, 06:15 AM
Registered

if you can post a pic that would be great.i think mine is bent thats why its so hard to shift.hey what prop are you using now?

Quick Reply: Hard Shifting

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.