Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
bravo xr upper on standard lower? >

bravo xr upper on standard lower?

Notices

bravo xr upper on standard lower?

Old 05-06-2007, 07:15 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bravo xr upper on standard lower?

I have a standard bravo om style drive. Will any year bravo xr upper bolt onto my lower without changing anything else? I broke off teeth in the upper, and this seems like an easy upgrade to the standard bravo, about the same cost as rebuilding my standard upper. Is this correct?
Old 05-06-2007, 09:29 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Yes it will work but you need to tear down lower,clean and inspect,also clean reservior and flush hose out,metal chips go everywhere when you have drive failure.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:28 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

The XR input shaft will not fit in the regular bravo gimbal assembly. You'll have the change the gimbal bearing if you want to put the XR upper on your boat.
Old 05-06-2007, 10:34 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nova,
MDG is correct, the lower should be inspected for damage. The XR upper will bolt on, but now you have a weak lower unit. So keep that in mind when you start to throttle up that new XR drive with the not so XR lower..
As far as costs go.. your Bravo upper can be upgraded to XR gears with steel tower and good cap for less money than buying a new style upper XR. There are still the old style XRs available that are about the same money, but dont have the modifications that I put into a upgraded Bravo 1.
Depending on your boat/motor combo and use.. one option may be better than another..

Hope this helps..

D*ck
Old 05-06-2007, 11:00 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Mr. Gadgets....check your PM's
Old 05-06-2007, 01:13 PM
Registered

My drive had about 20 hours on it when it failed. It is in a 26 foot wellcraft Nova, a heavy boat. Single 625 hp 540 n/a engine. So what is my best option? Build a stronger bravo or upgrade to a Konrad? I would much rather stay with bravos if I can make one last.I also heard there is an Ausralian company that makes a bravo replacement. Is this true? And finally, Mr. Gadgets, how much would you charge to upgrade my bravo as much as possible and how long does it take? I could deliver it to you anytime. I have relatives in Ann Arbor, how far from there are you?
Old 05-06-2007, 09:51 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Nova,
An XR on that boat should live, depending on your driving habits. I can upgrade your upper to XR, but then the lower has weaker components in it. So they may be the weak link. I can add XR components to you lower also. But then you are getting close to buying an XR drive. There are alot of options, so understanding them will help you make a better decision.

I will PM you with more info.

I have not heard of an Australian company building a Bravo Replacement. But could be possible, and I just dont know about it. The Konrad is a good way to go, but does cost more money and adds a transmission to the package.

D*ck
Old 05-12-2007, 07:46 PM
Registered

just make sure oil passage from upper to lower match up older bravo,s from the nineties they changed oil passage location from lower to uppers.
Old 05-13-2007, 12:48 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I have a complete xr and xz drives for sale. xr has 1.50 gears and the xz has 1.36 gears.
Old 05-13-2007, 10:46 AM
Registered

how much mine was stolen in march

Quick Reply: bravo xr upper on standard lower?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.