Bravo 1 XR prop hub stuck! >

Bravo 1 XR prop hub stuck!

Notices

Bravo 1 XR prop hub stuck!

Old 08-08-2007, 11:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo 1 XR prop hub stuck!

As part of my first DIY drive oil change, I was removing the starboard prop and found the prop hub to be stuck on the prop shaft. I tapped lightly on it, tried some delicate prying and the thing won't budge.

I'm kinda pissed because this is the drive that was recently worked on for a bellows leak and when I removed the prop I'm certain it was overtorqued. It was probably torqued to 100+ foot-pounds if I had to guess. What's wrong with people? It's supposed to be 55 or something. I'm guessing this is why it is stuck on there too. No issues on the other side, cause I was the last one to remove/install the prop over there.

Any ideas besides taking it back to the shop that did the drive work? I'm not in the mood for that hassle. I might try tapping a little harder with a wood block and rubber mallet.

Thanks,
John
Old 08-08-2007, 11:50 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

They don't get stuck by over tightening. More likely lack of grease. Some of the HP hubs fit tight and need to be tapped on. It should come off with minimal effort. By careful not to pry against housing. If your splines are twisted it will make it tight as well. If you can't get it off prying and tapping locate a suitable puller. Good luck
Jim
Old 08-08-2007, 12:10 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Yup, most likely a lack of grease. Greasing the propshaft splines is critical if you are running in salt water. I've heard of Volvo drives having to have the props cut off if their special grease was not used in salt water applications. Take a piece of wood and lay it against the drive and then take a large blade screw driver and see if you can get it to pry off. Good luck!
Old 08-08-2007, 02:05 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replies. I'll give it a whirl with the rubber mallet and some more prying as suggested and see what happens.

John
Old 08-09-2007, 08:30 AM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 1 Post

It could very well have twisted splines in which case it will need to be cut off and of course some more $.
Old 08-09-2007, 10:34 AM
Registered

Oh boy, twisted spines. That sounds like fun. What is the likelihood of that though? The drive only has 25 hours on it and I'm pretty easy on the sticks. Also, it is an XR drive with mild power behind it (496 HO). I would think that twisted splines would be another warranty repair if I haven't done anything to cause it.

Anyway, I tried the wood block and rubber mallet last night to no avail. I'm now searching for an 8" gear puller somewhere local so I can give that a try before the weekend.

So far, I'm not really enjoying boating that much. I have a brand spanking new boat and it seems like I've spent more time towing it back and forth from the shop than to the water. My wife is on the edge of giving up boating due to all the times I've told her we can't go out in our brand new boat because it is broken or has some issue. This is my second boat and the first one had NONE of these problems. Is this just bad luck or more of a "welcome" to the "real" world of boating?

John
Old 08-09-2007, 11:14 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

I would say that you are experiencing a little bit of both. Just to to NAPA or Auto Zone or what ever you have close by and get a puller. That is your best bet. Is it one of the plastic hubs?
Old 08-09-2007, 12:48 PM
the Flightmaster
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

The steel XR hub has a plastic collar at the back of it on the inside. This can suck itself up really tight on the shaft. I had the same problem. I cannot see you having twisted a spline on a twin with 496`s. The 1 1/4" XR shaft can handle more than that.

Sorry to hear you are having so much stress with a new boat.
Boats are like children, they do behave better, if you give them enough attention and devotion, however they never grow up!
Old 08-09-2007, 01:40 PM
Registered

Welcome to the world of boating.
B reak
O ut
A nother
T housand
Old 08-09-2007, 02:08 PM
Registered

spray the shaft down with a break free or nut buster or some kinda penatrating oil. Raise the drive so it runs down teh shaft. let it sit for a while. maybe put the prop back onand twist it back and forth. thay do have a little slop in them. A good long arm gear puller will do the trick. be carefull of the end of the shaft. always put the nut back on a little bit.

good luck

Quick Reply: Bravo 1 XR prop hub stuck!

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.