Convert or replace? >

Convert or replace?

Notices

Convert or replace?

Old 08-13-2007, 11:34 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Convert or replace?

Is it more cost efective to convert a 1998 bravo 1 drive to an xr gear set or buy a complete xr drive from the clasifieds? Will a new xr drive bolt to my old transom assembly? Is one route better than than the other??
Old 08-14-2007, 07:09 AM
21 and 42 footers
Platinum Member

Received 119 Likes on 61 Posts

Last year a buddy spent alot of money converting 2 bravos to XR gearsets......in May he blew the floors out of the upper on one of them, in June he blew the top cap off the other one. Ruined both of them. Turned out to be a big waste of money since the cases aren't as strong as the XR cases. Now he has 2 blown up bravos that he could have sold if he had just bought XR's in the first place.
Old 08-14-2007, 12:29 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info. That is the kind of info that I am looking for to help me make a decision. Can any one tell me if a new xr drive will bolt up to an older transom/gimble assembly?
Old 08-14-2007, 01:00 PM
SeaRay Sundancer
Gold Member

I say we run the piss out of your boat this weekend and see what it takes to actually ruin one. Then bolt up an alpha for your s-charger next yr.
Old 08-14-2007, 01:26 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Originally Posted by cstobe
Thanks for the info. That is the kind of info that I am looking for to help me make a decision. Can any one tell me if a new xr drive will bolt up to an older transom/gimble assembly?

Yes it will bolt up. There is a conversion kit with a different gimbal bearing and a few other things.
Old 08-14-2007, 05:13 PM
Registered

I thought I ran the piss out of it every weekend! Thanks for the info Griff, Is there a certain vendor who sells the kits?
Old 08-15-2007, 08:57 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I sell the bearing conversion kit.. Jamie / Lakeside

Old 08-15-2007, 10:36 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would consider contacting Max Machine Worx. They can machine your current housing to accept a steel tower/cup so the XR gears ride in steel, not aluminum. They call it a power tower. I have had no problems with mine so far ...
Old 08-15-2007, 02:54 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I have converted several B1's to XR, and installed numerous steel towers in B1 cases Depending on how it is done, it is just as good if not better than an XR. But you have to compare apples to apples to know if your money is getting the best bang for your buck.

Feel free to give me a call to discuss your options.. wheather you buy elsewere or not.

D*ck
616-403-1006
Old 08-16-2007, 12:59 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by t500hps
Last year a buddy spent alot of money converting 2 bravos to XR gearsets......in May he blew the floors out of the upper on one of them, in June he blew the top cap off the other one. Ruined both of them. Turned out to be a big waste of money since the cases aren't as strong as the XR cases. Now he has 2 blown up bravos that he could have sold if he had just bought XR's in the first place.
Max Machine worx uses std bravo cases and installs their steel towers,its STRONGER then a stock xr tower,the case is identical other wise,too bad your buddy didn't take his a step further,Smitty

Quick Reply: Convert or replace?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.