Notices

TRS Tips & Tricks

Old 11-29-2007, 02:55 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
I've come to the conclusion that the best TRS mod is the Konrad.
Thanks all for the input!
I think that's the best thing to do also!

I often wish I got a TRS boat cheap and put some Konrads on!

However, I don't agree that the Konrad is the answer for a bravo. TRS to Konrad is the way to go, it's what it's designed for!
Old 11-29-2007, 03:50 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

White Knuckles: Trannies are Borg Warners C-72s/Velvet Drive

Flashhat: Gimbals can only be pulled by removing the motors and removing the 8 nuts from the inner gimbal plates.

You need a stud remover to pull the old studs and start making calls to Bam Marine, Speedmasters Inc, Doller Marine, or Offshore Perfomance Specialties for a set of new studs if needed. All 4 of these shops stock plenty of TRS parts.

When I did my external steering I needed extra long studs to mount the Marine Machine wing plates on the drives and they charged $25 each.

Konrads are defintely the way to go if you can afford to pay $10,000 per drive. If you can afford $20K then have both drives gone through and resealed. They really are bullet proof if you maintain them by proper throttling and fluid changes.

Last edited by US MUSL; 11-29-2007 at 03:58 PM.
Old 12-01-2007, 06:57 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by US MUSL
White Knuckles: Trannies are Borg Warners C-72s/Velvet Drive

Flashhat: Gimbals can only be pulled by removing the motors and removing the 8 nuts from the inner gimbal plates
Actually, this is incorrect. The gimbals can be removed with out pulling the engines.
All eight fasteners are accessable, the two nuts located under the transmission ears (BW only) are the only ones that can be a bit of a chore but not too bad with the right tools.
I've found that a Snap On semi-deep 3/4 socket and a wobble drive extension works to start removing, after several full turns, switch to a 3/4 flex-socket and you're there.
Been involved in many TRS/Konrad conversions, most twin engine boats can be completed within a days work.

If anyone is interested, shoot me your address in a PM and I'll send you out the installation manual. This procedure is well documented.

Kurt

Kurt
Old 12-01-2007, 08:00 AM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggus
Actually, this is incorrect. The gimbals can be removed with out pulling the engines.
Kurt
Kurt, I never tried that. Did you support the tailstock/trannie, then remove all the nuts on the inner transom plate?

In the past I've removed the gimbal rings but never the whole assembly with the engine in the boat.
Old 12-01-2007, 08:53 AM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Now all Konrad has to do is come up with a #6 replacement that bolts up to the #3 hole and I'm all set.
Old 12-01-2007, 09:57 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Panther
Kurt, I never tried that. Did you support the tailstock/trannie, then remove all the nuts on the inner transom plate?

In the past I've removed the gimbal rings but never the whole assembly with the engine in the boat.
Cigarette's and other serious offshore TRS boats are usually fitted with motor plates front and rear, if this is the case, there's no need to support the tranny. I've done a few Fountains that just used the "ears" of the TRS tailstock for the rear mount. These configurations must be supported before pulling the gimbal. The Konrad TRS conversion retains the existing innter transom plate.

Kurt
Old 12-01-2007, 10:02 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Chris Sunkin
Now all Konrad has to do is come up with a #6 replacement that bolts up to the #3 hole and I'm all set.

There's certainly a lot of interest for a SSMVI replacement but I don't see it happening too soon.

Our SSMIII/IIIA conversion is fully competed and works perfectly along with a few more mph to boot! Just got home from Miami testing the first conversion. More to come on this !!!!

Kurt
Old 12-01-2007, 11:56 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

I would assume that if you had a merctrans set up you would have to pull the engine...I know that I have not been successful at even tightening all 8 nuts let alone removeing them.
Old 12-01-2007, 02:33 PM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

I would go ahead and pull the motors regardless of if you can do it with them in or not. They come out so easily and it makes everything else so excessable. With them out you can replace damaged or old hoses pumps etc.
Old 12-01-2007, 03:48 PM

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Originally Posted by Biggus
There's certainly a lot of interest for a SSMVI replacement but I don't see it happening too soon.

Our SSMIII/IIIA conversion is fully competed and works perfectly along with a few more mph to boot! Just got home from Miami testing the first conversion. More to come on this !!!!

Kurt
Is the III conversion a TBA thing? I was unaware there was any activity on this product. Pics/specs?

Quick Reply: TRS Tips & Tricks

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.