Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Drives and Lower Units (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units-217/)
-   -   drive spacer question (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units/179057-drive-spacer-question.html)

p729lws 02-04-2008 08:50 PM

drive spacer question

1 Attachment(s)
What parts do I need to change an IMCO -2" drive back to standard height? Do I just need the parts shown in the photo or do I also need a longer coupler? Is there any reason not to buy a used spacer if I can find one?
Thanks,
Dan

Bryan Rose 02-04-2008 09:24 PM

Originally Posted by p729lws (Post 2433145)
What parts do I need to change an IMCO -2" drive back to standard height? Do I just need the parts shown in the photo or do I also need a longer coupler? Is there any reason not to buy a used spacer if I can find one?
Thanks,
Dan

you will need a longer coupler, they are proportionate to the lenght of the spacer you buy, should come with it.

Bryan

p729lws 02-05-2008 08:57 AM

Originally Posted by Bryan Rose (Post 2433197)
you will need a longer coupler, they are proportionate to the lenght of the spacer you buy, should come with it.

Bryan

Thanks Bryan.

Mr Gadgets 02-05-2008 08:52 PM

Dan,
That looks like the picture from the IMCO catalog. I think the part above the single bolt is the coupler?? Not sure. But when you buy a spacer, it should come with it.
If the used one is not coroded or had 1000hp run thru it.. I would say buy it used if you can find one. Sometimes people buy them to try it out.. then sell them. So it would not have had much of a chance to be abused..

Dick

Scarab28 02-06-2008 06:31 PM

Dan - just curious - any whore stories as to why you are going back to std length?

p729lws 02-06-2008 11:50 PM

Originally Posted by Scarab28 (Post 2435828)
Dan - just curious - any whore stories as to why you are going back to std length?

No "whore" stories here:party-smiley-004:

I have the shorty on an '86 22' Donzi Classic and it works great. I'm thinking about selling the Donzi and using the drive on a 28 Pantera that I have. I hear the 28 Pantera's run best w/ the stock drive height. I have not had any issues w/ the IMCO drive and it picked up a few MPH on the Donzi.

Dan

tomas_wallin 02-08-2008 03:59 PM

Originally Posted by p729lws (Post 2436280)
No "whore" stories here:party-smiley-004:

I have the shorty on an '86 22' Donzi Classic and it works great. I'm thinking about selling the Donzi and using the drive on a 28 Pantera that I have. I hear the 28 Pantera's run best w/ the stock drive height. I have not had any issues w/ the IMCO drive and it picked up a few MPH on the Donzi.

Dan

Hey Dan,

What do you mean by that the 28 Panteras run best with stock drive height?

I guess you can say the pleasure version 28s do have "stock" drive heights but the race-versions seem to have very custom heights.

p729lws 02-11-2008 03:10 PM

Originally Posted by tomas_wallin (Post 2438359)
Hey Dan,

What do you mean by that the 28 Panteras run best with stock drive height?

I guess you can say the pleasure version 28s do have "stock" drive heights but the race-versions seem to have very custom heights.

I not sure how the x-dimension changes from the "competition" and sport versions of the 28. I don't hear stories of improved performance or handling from drive height changes so I guess I'm saying the factory does a good job w/ the x-dimension. I'm sure others know more than I do concerning this.

Dan

Bryan Rose 02-11-2008 03:26 PM

Originally Posted by p729lws (Post 2433145)
Thanks,
Dan

Forgot to mention the studs will be the corresponding lenght to the amount of spacer.....each spacer wether it is 1/2 inch or 3/4 inch or 1 inch etc....will have studs that match the length of the spacer...mke sense?
Bryan

Mbam 02-11-2008 03:57 PM

Spacer will lower the prop shaft/gearcase for sure, but it is not the same as a full length drive. Depending on the hull you might start dragging the cavitation plate.

Bryan Rose 02-11-2008 06:37 PM

Originally Posted by Mbam (Post 2441290)
Spacer will lower the prop shaft/gearcase for sure, but it is not the same as a full length drive. Depending on the hull you might start dragging the cavitation plate.

Pretty sure the cav plate is on the upper, and the lower does not have one....on an IMCO lower that is...

could be dragging the spacer a bit ....

Bryan

Griff 02-11-2008 09:16 PM

Yep, a -2 Imco lower does not have a cav plate.

Mbam 02-12-2008 05:45 AM

Not sure what you want to call that part of the drive, but it is going to be 2" closer to the prop and will start dragging on some boats. That is why Mercury makes a full length Sportmaster.

http://go-fast.com/mercruiser_bravo_upgrades.htm

osur866 02-15-2008 12:43 AM

I

have a bravo lower dwp that has little hrs. on if you would be interested in trading for the -2 shorty its currently on a donzi c-18 behind a 6.2 with about 100hrs 06' model if interested let me know Steve