Notices

Free play

Old 03-25-2008, 11:29 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Free play

Have a bravo 1 & when you move the outdrive side to side with your hands it goes about 2 inches each way. Looking at the steering wheel while doing this it doesn;'t move. So since I just pulled the engine I wanted to get this straightened out. Something has to be worn out, but I have no idea what it could be. Boat has standard cable style steering.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:06 PM
KMP
Registered

Originally Posted by Fast Willy
Have a bravo 1 & when you move the outdrive side to side with your hands it goes about 2 inches each way. Looking at the steering wheel while doing this it doesn;'t move. So since I just pulled the engine I wanted to get this straightened out. Something has to be worn out, but I have no idea what it could be. Boat has standard cable style steering.
Check the tiller arm in the top of the drive, you can see it from the engine compartment. They wear out quickly. There is a repair for it, but most prefer to go to external rams. There is a lot of stress on that small point.
Old 03-25-2008, 02:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

It sounds like the gimbel bearing. Pretty expensive fix. Also if not fixed it can be dangerous if it lets go...
Old 03-25-2008, 02:24 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

theres a repair kit out. you have todrill a couple holes though. be a good time todo the bellows too. not too expensive if you do it yourself.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:12 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

snopro,
Sorry to disagree, but no way the gimbal bearing can cause that.

The play is most likely in the gimbal ring. As was said, most likley the tiller arm. Possibly the hinge pins, the ring or helmet.

Dont use the repair kit. You really dont want to be drilling huge holes in the gimbal.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:27 PM
Registered

A gimbal bearing has nothing to do with the steering - 90% of the time it's caused by the Gimbal ring itself being worn - and no, tightening the two nuts accesible from the outside will not fix the problem. It will most likely have to be replaced. If the engine is out you'll be able to fix this without using the access kit as mentioned. The only reason for the access kit is to NOT pull the engine when needing to access the steering arm. Generally the steering shaft itself doesn't wear - but the seal area needs to be inspected for grooves. I agree with going to external rams - even the half system works better than the factory one.
Old 03-25-2008, 03:41 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

If you have the money i would fit a new a new transom assembly especially since you have the engine out.I have mucked around far too many times repairing old worn out gimbles.Chances are if the steering arm is worn the other pivot points in the assembly are too.Merc used to make the transom assembly with grease nipples in all the right places.Keep the grease up to them and basically they lasted forever.Now they use silly fibre type bushes that are made to wear quick.
The steering arm is a shaft with a squared section.Around this squared section is clamped with a through bolt the steering arm.Both pieces are cast.When you look at it you think i can just tighten the bolt.Repairs never seem to last very long.Get a whole new one you'll be glad you did.
Old 03-25-2008, 05:27 PM
Registered

Thanks for the replies, now I have to uncover it again & look into what you guys were saying.
Old 03-25-2008, 06:28 PM
Registered

Here is a link for you. http://www.jrmarine.com/products/gimbal_repair.htm
They have great products for this type of repair and with their stronger u-bolt for the upper pin it does not weaken and wear as easily.
Old 03-25-2008, 09:09 PM
Registered

Received 11 Likes on 9 Posts

Fast. W. I had the same problem. THe nut and the pin in the steering arm is the problem. Fix it, for the short term.
Go with full hydro. after the repair. Tighten the 2 bolts form the outside (65 Ft. Pound, I think) but the square pivot "nut" and the pin MUST BE REPAIRED. Search my old thread on this .. more good info. The design is a problem and Merc. is aware of it. (no help tho.) Once there is a little play, it will get worse.

Quick Reply: Free play

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.