Replace Trim Cylinder Caps

Notices

Replace Trim Cylinder Caps

Old 01-09-2009, 07:53 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replace Trim Cylinder Caps

I had my stbd drive trim cylinder caps replaced due to corrosion making the cylinders operate slowly and now want to replace the caps on the port cylinders myself. I ordered two caps and two seal kits but I would like to verify what I need to do prior to taking the cylinders apart.

Basically I am going to unscrew the caps off the cylinder and remove the ram from the cylinder. Take the bolt out of the ram and pull off the piston. Press out the ram from the old cap. Put the ram through the new cap, replace the seals and reassemble. Does that sound right? Any traps or pitfalls??

Thanks,
Tom
Old 01-10-2009, 12:22 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
I had my stbd drive trim cylinder caps replaced due to corrosion making the cylinders operate slowly and now want to replace the caps on the port cylinders myself. I ordered two caps and two seal kits but I would like to verify what I need to do prior to taking the cylinders apart.

Basically I am going to unscrew the caps off the cylinder and remove the ram from the cylinder. Take the bolt out of the ram and pull off the piston. Press out the ram from the old cap. Put the ram through the new cap, replace the seals and reassemble. Does that sound right? Any traps or pitfalls??

Thanks,
Tom
Sounds right but i never pulled mine of the drive,but that was always on speedmaster drives.One side still bolted helped to hold in place until the caps were broken lose.You may want to purchase a good strap wrench if you dont allready own one.Keeps the new caps in good shape without doing damage to the paint.
Be brave
Old 01-11-2009, 09:11 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Originally Posted by HotPursuit
Sounds right but i never pulled mine of the drive,but that was always on speedmaster drives.One side still bolted helped to hold in place until the caps were broken lose.You may want to purchase a good strap wrench if you dont allready own one.Keeps the new caps in good shape without doing damage to the paint.
Be brave
Thanks, got it done yesterday. Looks like I still have some air in the lines but should be OK.