Notices

Bravo Trim Pump

Old 01-12-2009, 07:21 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo Trim Pump

My stbd drive was moving up and down really slow so I changed the trim cylinder end caps as they can corrode and pinch the trim ram. Now, the drive goes up fine but still comes down slowly. The pump makes an audible sound difference in the down direction which is a lot different than the up direction that I can hear. Also, the down direction on the other drive sounds a lot different.

I ran the drive up and down about 20 times to clear the air out of the system so it shouldn't be air.

Seems like the motor is OK?

Can the hydraulic pump be the issue?

How about the down check valve?

Any help would be appreciated.
Old 01-12-2009, 08:52 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
My stbd drive was moving up and down really slow so I changed the trim cylinder end caps as they can corrode and pinch the trim ram. Now, the drive goes up fine but still comes down slowly. The pump makes an audible sound difference in the down direction which is a lot different than the up direction that I can hear. Also, the down direction on the other drive sounds a lot different.

I ran the drive up and down about 20 times to clear the air out of the system so it shouldn't be air.

Seems like the motor is OK?

Can the hydraulic pump be the issue?

How about the down check valve?

Any help would be appreciated.

Did u check all the wires going to that pump,,,,and the selinoid???
Old 01-12-2009, 09:58 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

OK I guess I will hot wire the down solenoid and see if it makes a difference. That would eliminate an electrical problem.
Old 01-12-2009, 10:21 AM
Banned

Yep,,,,,if its the same ,,,,just buy a used good pump on e-bay.
I have seen them for around 100 bucks ,actually i bought one a year ago and still works perfect.

i also had the same problem ,,,,but it was the up pos. after i replaced the o-rings in the trimmcylinders it was ok,,,,but u sayd u did that already,,,,what happens is the fluid bypasses the o-ring and makes the pump sound diffrent.
U may whant to check that again,,by switching the high and low side then u see if the pump now makes the funny noise in the up pos. !!!!
Old 01-12-2009, 10:55 AM
Charter Member
Charter Member

Originally Posted by daredevil
Yep,,,,,if its the same ,,,,just buy a used good pump on e-bay.
I have seen them for around 100 bucks ,actually i bought one a year ago and still works perfect.

i also had the same problem ,,,,but it was the up pos. after i replaced the o-rings in the trimmcylinders it was ok,,,,but u sayd u did that already,,,,what happens is the fluid bypasses the o-ring and makes the pump sound diffrent.
U may whant to check that again,,by switching the high and low side then u see if the pump now makes the funny noise in the up pos. !!!!

Thanks.

I put a seal kit and a new trim cylinder cap in each trim cylinder so that should be OK like you said.

So if I switch the lines on the pump and the noise switches to when the motor is running in the up direction the problem may still be in the rams. If the noise stays on the down side with the hoses switched it's the pump, right??

Last edited by Thunderstruck; 01-12-2009 at 10:58 AM.
Old 01-12-2009, 11:07 AM
Banned

Originally Posted by Thunderstruck
Thanks.

I put a seal kit and a new trim cylinder cap in each trim cylinder so that should be OK like you said.

So if I switch the lines on the pump and the noise switches to when the motor is running in the up direction the problem may still be in the rams. If the noise stays on the down side with the hoses switched it's the pump, right??
YEP , i would say !!!??