Bravo1 stuck in drive..HELP!! >

Bravo1 stuck in drive..HELP!!

Notices

Bravo1 stuck in drive..HELP!!

Old 04-25-2009, 10:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo1 stuck in drive..HELP!!

Today I took my new bought 1988 34' scarab3 out and when i hit WOT everything was fine for about 15 seconds then the port side motor acted like it jump out of gear so i pulled back to an idle(i thought i spun the prop hub) and went to pull it out of drive but it was stuck, so i shut it off and check the cables they all seemed fine so i let it site for a while still stuck so i disconected the cable so i could start it and get back on 2 motors but it would not let the motor crank over. So after gettin it home i pulled the drive off and motor will crank now but the drive is still stuck, so i guess i get to start tearing it apart tomorrow. Any ideas on what could have heppend? i have read some forums about b1s getting stuck but drive but none seemed to jump out of gear at WOT then be stuck in drive when come to an idle..PLEASE HELP!!
Old 04-26-2009, 12:08 AM
Registered

Default Engine Not turning over

Most boats are setup so that if the shifter is "in gear" it has a safety switch to prevent the driver from starting it in gear. Unless you unhook one of those wires, it won't go. Also, mine would not turn either because the drive gears failed bad enough to prevent the engine from turning. I've had a drive failure completely shut down an engine smooth as if there were brake pads on the crank shaft so to speak.

If the drive is stuck in forward, this sounds like when I broke mine. You broke something.

If it didn't totally explode, then you'll have the cases and probably several other good parts left over for spare..

Sorry to hear.

Last edited by SDFever; 04-26-2009 at 12:11 AM.
Old 04-26-2009, 01:51 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Can you turn the prop by hand??????
Old 04-26-2009, 08:46 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

pull the back cover off and see if u have broke gears
Old 04-26-2009, 10:30 AM
Registered

Yes prop will by hand with no problem now that i have the outdrive off the boat but its still in gear cuz the input shaft i guess you would call it turns the prop freely, but what would cause it to act like it jumped out of gear at WOT then find out that its stuck in gear??
Old 04-27-2009, 09:36 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

With the drive off try and move the shift mechanism on the drive. Sometimes that clip will fail and the cable will slip out and leave the drive in gear.
Old 04-28-2009, 02:36 PM
Registered

Tryed that, i had the front cover off and the shift cam will not move at all.