Notices

TRS Wont Go Down

Old 04-27-2009, 11:13 AM
Registered

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts
Default TRS Wont Go Down

1980 Scarab with twins and TRS drives, I thought my pumps had gone bad so I switched to the new style pumps and I still have the same issue. The pump is turning, the drive doesn't move. I can jump up and down on the drive while someone holds the switch and it will barley creep down. Oh and I bypassed the reverse lock out when i hooked up the new pump. I guess what I should say is that I dont have the hydraulic line running to reverse lockout any longer. Maybe it still has some presence that Im unaware of. I tried moving the throttle in and out of gear too just to make sure. I also accidentally hooked the pump up backwards the first time and same result, would go up but not down.

What the heck am I doing wrong??

Thanks
Bill
Old 04-27-2009, 01:43 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Are both drives doing this?You need to check that all your trim cylinder lines are hooked up correctly.Look at the connection block under the transom assembly outside and see that the lines straight across from each other go to the same holes on the trim cylinders.If this is correct disconnect one of the lines from a cylinder.If the drive comes down than that is the up line.Watch out for the oil squirting out of the hole as the drive drops.Reconnect line and disconnect the other line on that same cylinder.This should be the down line. Have some one operate the switch down and check for fluid flow out of that line.If you have good flow than either the pump is not allowing the fluid flow back through the up line or you have a problem inside of a trim cylinder.If the drive does not drop when the up line is disconnected than the problem is in the trim cylinder.Your problem should not have anything to do with the reverse lock out being bypassed.
Old 04-27-2009, 04:37 PM
Registered

Thanks Jim, Yes both sides do this, which I find odd. When i purchased the boat both of the resovoirs were low. Not knowing what fluid to use I asked the local marina and they said ATF fluid. Could that have anything to do with it?
Old 04-27-2009, 05:16 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

More then likely you need to trim rams. Take them off one and and see if you can turn the end by hand. If not then your scrapper seal is likely gone. You can rebuild them with some basic tools and time invested.

Jon
Old 04-27-2009, 05:18 PM
Registered

Well I guess I know what I'm doing tonight. Thanks Jon
Old 04-27-2009, 05:59 PM
Registered

I really don't know if tranny fluid would work or cause harm,I've never heard of anyone using it.I do know you should be using 10W-30 motor oil though.If you filled those new pumps with ATF and thats what was in the system I would recommend draining the pumps and trim cyls.Disconnect both lines from both trim cyls.Lift the drive all the way up by hand and let it back down to remove all fluid from cyls..While lifting fluid will come out the down holes and as drive goes down fluid will come out the up holes.Drive should fall easily by itself when lines are disconnected.If they don't fall by themselves with the lines disconnected you have a problem in the cyls. .After refilling your pumps hit the switch up for about 5 second and then down about 5 seconds to fill the lines with oil.You should have a good flow coming out of the lines when you do this.Reconnect your UP LINES to the 2 cylinders.Leave DOWN LINES OFF at this time.Run the pump up till drive is all the way up.Hit the down switch until fluid comes out of the lines from the pump then connect your down lines and run it down.Running up and down a few times will bleed the system of air as the fluid passes through the reservoir.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:33 PM
Registered

When I switched the pumps out I used 5-30w motor oil. I'll pull the lines tonight.
Old 04-27-2009, 06:36 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Some pumps want 10-30 others use ATF. If you have one of the pumps that is about the same size all the way up then more then likely you should be using ATF. If you have a pump that has a big metal resovoir then strait 30 wt. If you have one with a plastic resovoir then 10-30.

Jon
Old 04-27-2009, 06:44 PM
Registered

It seems so backwards that it wont go down. Not going up I understand, its gravity and outdrives are heavy. The damn thing should fall down when I hit the switch. i was shocked that it didn't fall when i unhooked the pump.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:11 PM
Registered

Mercury clearly states in the TRS Service Manual #5 to use 10w30 or 10w40 MOTOR OIL in all their trim pumps Prestolite and Oildyne

Now I do know someone that uses ATF oil in trim pumps!!!

Last edited by picklenjim; 04-27-2009 at 07:27 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.