Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Leak in my TRS drive is it a do it yourself fix? >

Leak in my TRS drive is it a do it yourself fix?

Notices

Leak in my TRS drive is it a do it yourself fix?

Old 04-27-2009, 05:13 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default Leak in my TRS drive is it a do it yourself fix?

One of my TRS drives is leaking out of the input shaft seal just behind the yoke. I think I have to replace the shaft as it is looking like it is a little rusty and I think it whiped out the seal? I would like to buy a new shaft and all the seals and replace the thing myself if I can?

Jon
Old 04-27-2009, 06:53 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

It can be done if you have some mechanical skills.You must remove the back cover and remove the nut off the end of the yoke stub shaft.It's torqued at 200 FT.LBS.You hold the u-joint end with a long piece of flat steel.As you disassemble you must keep track of all your shims so you can put them back in the same place.You may not need to replace your shaft though.Mercury designed the case so the seal can be installed flush w/outside of the case(factory),1/16" deep,or 1/8" deep.You may be able to remove and clean up the seal area on the shaft beings it may not be rusty on the inside.Then just set your new seal deeper!If you replace the shaft you will have to mess with the u-joints which is no fun plus with a new shaft it might be a good idea to have it professionally re shimmed.However the parts are still all available.Stub Shaft 62782A6 $220;Seal 26-62818 $20;Rear Cover O-ring 25-39695 $4;Top Cover o-ring 25-67202 is not available from Mercury but may be found else where

Last edited by picklenjim; 04-27-2009 at 06:58 PM.
Old 04-27-2009, 07:25 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Thanks. I think that the seal was already set in deeper? I seem to recall that when they rebuilt it a few years back. They said that they were not sure how long it would last. I will try and look for some one in the area that can rebuild it for me.