Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Replacing Coupler, have a few questions... >

Replacing Coupler, have a few questions...

Notices

Replacing Coupler, have a few questions...

Old 04-28-2009, 08:26 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Replacing Coupler, have a few questions...

First off Great Forum, an Excellent Resource for Information!!!

Question:
I need to replace the Coupler on my 99 Baja H2X 454 Bravo. The aluminum spline sleeve on the coupler no longer has any splines. Now from reading various post on this forum and other forums, it looks like the motor will need to be removed because of accessibility.

So let me ask this, has anyone ever tried to remove/replace coupler without removing the engine? Is this possible or should I just bite the bullet and bring it to the shop, since I do not have access to a lift?

All Help/Info is Greatly Appreciatted.

thanks again
frank
Old 04-28-2009, 08:45 AM
Registered

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

You have to remove the motor or be able to move it forward to get the flywheel cover off it
Old 04-28-2009, 08:48 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

sorry to break it to you, the only way is take the engine out.
It should take a good mechanic less than 6 hr's, and thats being on the long side, as long as your boats engine is easy to get to.
make sure you get a good brand of coupler, there are several out there, if you ask i'm sure someone can hook you up with a good one
Old 04-28-2009, 10:15 AM
Registered

Just got off the phone with a reccomended local mechanic. He's gonna come by tonite and we are gonna inspect & remove the drive. He is concerned on why the sleeve wore, possible drive issue or alignment problem. So we will see. 5.5 hrs to remove motor & drive with me there, I do not mind paying for that education at all.
Old 04-28-2009, 12:36 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Probably out of alignment or not greased. It is 10 years old as well and they don't last forever.
Old 04-28-2009, 01:29 PM
Rob
VIP Member

Received 6 Likes on 6 Posts

Originally Posted by Griff
Probably out of alignment or not greased. It is 10 years old as well and they don't last forever.
Im guessing grease.I did it to a new one grease dryed up,knife edges the splines.I figured I had put enough grease on it, Im greasing them all tru the summer now

The Only Time You Have To Much Ammo Is When Your Swimming Or On Fire.
Old 04-28-2009, 07:17 PM
Registered
VIP Member

Do you have the aluminum spline coupler? Oops I see you do. I would get the steel spline unit from Mercury. The proper a# escapes me at the moment but I could look it up for you. Also use the proper spline grease from Mercury.

Last edited by rhinoLX; 04-28-2009 at 07:19 PM. Reason: oops
Old 04-28-2009, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 27 Likes on 12 Posts

Originally Posted by rhinoLX
Do you have the aluminum spline coupler? Oops I see you do. I would get the steel spline unit from Mercury. The proper a# escapes me at the moment but I could look it up for you. Also use the proper spline grease from Mercury.
I use the A9 and never a problem.
Old 04-28-2009, 08:53 PM
Registered

Well it looks like what caused the problem was that the front two motor isolators were not properly torqued, allowing the motor and dirve to be out of alignment. The coupler splines were gone totally. On both sides the nuts were not even tight, meaning both would have needed to be tightened a good 1/4 - 1/2". So I guess they were never retightened after the boat was last serviced by previous owner. Also drive is fine, no metal shavings or anything like that. Gimbal Bearing is fine, but will replace anyway. Ordering the parts now, hope to have for the weekend.

thanks for all the help
Old 04-28-2009, 10:36 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

Those stud type mounts are known to have the lower adjusting nut back down, which lowers the motor and throws the alignment off. 99% of the time when you see a space between the upper lock nut and the mount, this is the case and can be corrected by simply tightening the LOWER nut back up. As tempting as it may be, don't turn the top nut. Leave it be. By tightening the lower nut back up, that'll rasie the motor back up and in alignment, most of the time if it was done right in the 1st place. Or at least it'll be very close. Still check with the tool.

I prefer the AL spline couplers. You'll be fine. Plus rather have the couple wear than the drive shaft.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 04-28-2009 at 10:38 PM.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.