TRS Input shaft yoke replacement ?????? >

TRS Input shaft yoke replacement ??????

Notices

TRS Input shaft yoke replacement ??????

Old 06-08-2009, 06:58 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts
Default TRS Input shaft yoke replacement ??????

I am going to be replacing the input shaft on my TRS drive. The seal is leaking because the shaft has rust on it. I was reading the manual the other day and it looks fairly straite forward to replace. My question is will I need to reshim the back cover again with the new shaft or will I be OK just dropping the new shaft in there and reusing the old shims?

The Yoke I am talking about is part number 32 on this page

http://www.mercruiserparts.com/Show_Pictures3.asp?dnbr= 76022&ivar=images/CRUISER/76022/11.png&inbr=986&bnbr=50&bdesc=DRIVE+SHAFT+HOUSING+ AND+GEAR+ASSEMBLY
Old 06-08-2009, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

How bad is your existing shaft rusted? Would it be possible to polish the rust off and re-use the same shaft and just replace the seal?
Old 06-08-2009, 08:17 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

I have no idea really. When the guy rebuilt the drive a while ago he said that he was not sure if it was going to be ok. I wish he had told me at that time because I would have had him replace it then but that is water under the bridge. He pushed the seal in a little to get it to ride on the better part of the shaft. I am assuming that since he did not get it to work the yoke needs to be replaced. It is not huge money so I don't mind buying a new one to not have to worry about it. Just concerned about not shimming correctly and blowing up a good drive.
Old 06-08-2009, 02:53 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I don't know how far he pushed it in but the factory designed it to be able to go in an extra 1/8 inch.Anyway like you say the stub shaft is not that expensive.$220 and you will know you have a good shaft then.According to the TRS manual #5 it is not necessary to re shim if replacing just the shaft. If replacing any of the other parts on that shaft or the rear cover or complete housing then it is necessary to re shim.If doing it yourself it is fairly easy,only hard part is the nut on the end of the shaft is torqued to 200ft.lbs..The u-joints are never fun to play with either.You can get them on ishopboating.com for $220.Merc dealer gets $282.Genuine Merc Parts.

Stub shaft 62782A6 $220
Seal 26-62818 $20
Old 06-08-2009, 05:07 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Thank you Picklenjim. I will go back and take a look at my boook and see if I can figure out were/why it was telling me to shim. Biggus from Konrad had told me the same as you but then the book was making me thing otherwise. I guess I will have to buy him a drink so that he loves me again LOL
Old 06-08-2009, 07:15 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by Audiofn
Biggus from Konrad had told me the same as you but then the book was making me thing otherwise. I guess I will have to buy him a drink so that he loves me again LOL

I'm on the way to your house. I'll mix my own drink...
Old 06-08-2009, 07:47 PM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

I think I still have a WHOLE LOT of credit with you borrrrr

Last edited by Audiofn; 06-08-2009 at 07:51 PM.
Old 06-09-2009, 07:28 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Got it all ordered up so hopefully I will have it for either this or next weekend. He Biggus that is the drive that was hard to get on!!! We can use the winch on the twister to try and pull it back off if it does not want to slide out. Do you have the large snappy torque wrench?