switched to mobil 1

Notices

switched to mobil 1

Old 06-28-2009, 06:57 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post
Question switched to mobil 1

I run a 06 bravo 1 with a imco -2 shorty, I switched from Merc HP to Mobil 1 and now i noticed that at around 700 rpms I feel that the out drive does not turn the prop in forward at idle, i need to bring it up to 850 rpm to engage, no trouble shifting, runs well just a slight delay at the dock, should i switch back to merc hp or ?
Attached Thumbnails switched to mobil 1-098.jpg  

Last edited by glen george; 06-28-2009 at 07:20 AM.
Old 06-28-2009, 08:29 AM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I don't think lube is your issue. You need to check your prop hub and your engine coupler to see if they are slipping. They should slip more under more load.

I'm running M1 in my drives with no issues. 9000# boat.
Old 06-28-2009, 05:43 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I have a solid hub on my bravo 26p, yesterday on oneida lake ny it felt different. thanks for your input.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:20 PM
Registered

Received 122 Likes on 83 Posts

I believe M1 to be a great gear oil but not when water is introduced into the equation. I ran it for 3-4 years with no problems until I had a bad seal and water mixed with the oil. I disassembled the drive and cleaned everything. Refilled with new M1. Not 10 hrs later the lower pinion gear teeth began coming apart.

Would this have happened with Merc HP? I don't know but it and the Amsoil gear oil have additives that still protect the gears if water enters the mix. M1 does not.
Old 06-28-2009, 09:29 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I will be on vacation all this week in the 1000 islands NY running my boat. I will drain it this friday july 3rd, then decide what to fill it with. when I put this mobil 1 in my Porsche 911, I did not like the shifting, the sencros never fully engaged and returned to it regular oil and it shifted better.
Old 06-29-2009, 07:33 PM
Charter Member #1055/Moderator
Charter Member

It can be too slippery when friction is needed, ie motorcycle with a wet clutch will slip, I could see a manual trans synchro blocker rings slippping too much with it.

Glen George, did you buy that boat from a guy named Ryan, originally 502mpi
Old 06-30-2009, 02:14 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

I bought boat in 94 from a 62+ pa man. I blew the upper outdrive yesterday 29 july under the 1000 island bridge, made it back to the dock, still shifts I just open it up and the mobil 1 is black metal flake with small pices. I will have to get a XR. i thought is might be the cuppler, i have been pushing this b1 with over 600 hp for 3 years.
Old 06-30-2009, 04:04 PM
Registered

Remember as well, the Amsoil drive lube was designed to operate with the cone clutch system in mind and designed around the bravo being that is the most popular drive in boating. Maybe the cone clutch is slipping too much and not engaging properly at the ~700rpm's. That info came straight from the tech's at Amsoil.
Old 06-30-2009, 05:45 PM
Registered

A bravo drive cone clutch can not slip. You may have stretched the shift cable or the cable is out of adjustment and not allowing it to fully shift.

The oil does not affect the clutch or how it operates in any way. The only purpose oils serves (During the shift) is to help soften the shift by pressing oil out from between the clutch and the thrust bearing as it engages the gear.

Not that it matters since everyone has there own opinion on oil but...I have been running M1 for 11 years and have never had a broken drive or anything act odd.

PM Mr. Gadgets (dick tryce) on this board. He is one of the few masters of a bravo drive.
Old 06-30-2009, 06:10 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

All the symptoms were right after i switched to mobil 1 but it turns out that my outdrive was over stress prior to using mobil one, (600+ Hp) I ordered a XR upper and new red dot gimbal bearing today.