Taking on Water to Bilge

Notices

Taking on Water to Bilge

Old 08-04-2009, 07:55 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Taking on Water to Bilge

I have a 1990 260cc Sea Ray with a 496 Mag and a Bravo One
Recently as I am underway at slow speeds I am taking on a good amount of water. The bilge alarm comes on and I have to turn on the bilge pump and it spits out a full stream of water, several gallons. I have to do this several times a day. It does not seem to take on as much water anchored or at the dock.

I have checked the bildge plug and it is sealed. I think it may be in the outdrive unit- Bellows, Shift cable?? No water is coming from the engine (exhaust, blue freeze plugs and the engine is not overheating)

Any suggestions??
Old 08-04-2009, 11:11 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,821 Likes on 907 Posts

Most likely its coming in one of the bellows.
Old 08-05-2009, 07:07 AM
Registered

First of all you need to see if the water is warm or cold when this is happening.

If it doesn't take on as much water when docked I wouldn't think it would be a boot on the drive because when docked they are under the water surface and it should leak worse.

I have the housings crack on the sea pump and cause this before.

Good luck
Old 08-05-2009, 08:54 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

check the speedo line for small leaks, and like mentioned, waterpump, check that all the exaust clamps are tight, if its leaking when on plane and not when moored, that takes alot of things off the list. are there any thru hull pickups for other things, head. genset, a/c, ect:
Old 08-21-2009, 01:26 AM
Registered

Default Transom Assembly Leak

Well after taking the boat to the shop and having the Bravo 1 drive serviced ( new shift bellows, new main and water bellowes) the boat still leaked.

Drained and cleaned the bilge and then put it in the tank at the shop and the leak is coming from the transom assebly, the water is coming in by the steering arm and then running down the back wall of the transom.

So- is it the transom assebly gasket? I tightened the the transom assbley bolts and it still leaked.

Do you have to pull the engine out to replace the transom assembly gasket?

thanks,
robb
Old 08-21-2009, 04:22 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Robb O
Well after taking the boat to the shop and having the Bravo 1 drive serviced ( new shift bellows, new main and water bellowes) the boat still leaked.

Drained and cleaned the bilge and then put it in the tank at the shop and the leak is coming from the transom assebly, the water is coming in by the steering arm and then running down the back wall of the transom.

So- is it the transom assebly gasket? I tightened the the transom assbley bolts and it still leaked.

Do you have to pull the engine out to replace the transom assembly gasket?

thanks,
robb
Was it leaking before the boots where replaced if not they did something wrong.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:01 AM
Charter Member #232
Charter Member

Received 6 Likes on 4 Posts

Probably leaking at the tiller arm seal. The seal were the tiller steering pin goes from the gimball ring into the boat.
Old 08-21-2009, 06:56 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 771 Likes on 352 Posts

Your leak then is most likely at the Swivel Seal.

You have two options - Drop drive, pull engine, remove transom assembly, and fix.

OR you could try this method. www.jrmarine.com

There is a strong possibility that if it is leaking that bad that the top of the gimbal ring is worn and will need work, (the guy on that website I just linked will fix it for you) and you migth want to pick up a new swivel pin depending on the shape it is in.

Mine were leaking last fall. I just pulled the engines, and replaced everything since I had it apart.
Old 10-07-2009, 05:03 PM
Registered

Robb O, what is the verdict? Did you replace the swivel pin or buy a new gimbal ring assembly? I may have issues with my swivel pin... not sure if it's just a tolerance issue or worn out. My mechanic is checking as we speak. I'd like to know wich course of action to take.
Old 10-07-2009, 10:15 PM
Registered

what type of exhaust does it have could be leaking from bull horns at bottom of engine?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.