Bravo I Steering Play >

Bravo I Steering Play

Notices

Bravo I Steering Play

Old 09-18-2009, 05:36 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Bravo I Steering Play

I have ALOT of play in my outdrive, everything appears to be tight, up to the bushing on the top of the drive that looks like it has some sort of key way in it. Any help in remedying this is greatly appreciated! Thanks.
Old 09-18-2009, 06:48 PM
Registered

sounds like you have a gimball ring that may be worn very bad or needs to be tightned up. get it checked soon that kind of problem is very dangerous.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:26 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by PAST DUE
sounds like you have a gimball ring that may be worn very bad or needs to be tightned up. get it checked soon that kind of problem is very dangerous.
Thats my call.

Go outside and grab the bottom of the skeg and give it a strong lift.

Straight up- not side to side.

If you have more than about 1/4 inch of play you've likely got a worn out gimball ring.

This usually happens to boats at about the 5-6 year mark that DONT have external steering with helps to stabilize the gimball under the constant loading and unloading. .

My 21FT tunnel hull with a hot 406 small block wore one dangerously at the 7 year mark.

Uncle Dave

Last edited by Uncle Dave; 09-23-2009 at 11:25 PM.
Old 09-18-2009, 07:29 PM
Registered

Don't want to hijack your thread but I just signed up new tonight and can't find where to post a new thread. Help!
Old 09-19-2009, 08:15 AM
Lakeside Restorations.com
Commercial Member

I agree probable steering shaft & Gimble ring wear.. It is usually best to replace the transom assembly depending on the condition of the remainder of yours. Otherwise the ring, bushings & steering shaft components get replaced along with the ring, you usually end up rebuilding the Transom assembly by the time you are done. The reason many people replace it with a new assembly lately rather than rebuilding is because by the time you are done there is not much time & money difference... AND you have all new instead of 1/2 new or rebuild old stuff.. We have done quite a bit of the replacements & sold & use the Merc magnum assemblies..

Where are you from? do you plan on repairing it yourself? I could hook you up with the parts , or if you need I can also do the work for you.. Either way, dont let it go un-attended to, it's not safe & can cause other problems... Jamie / Lakeside Restorations 570-639-2628

Old 09-22-2009, 04:24 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by LAKESIDE RESTORATIONS
I agree probable steering shaft & Gimble ring wear.. It is usually best to replace the transom assembly depending on the condition of the remainder of yours. Otherwise the ring, bushings & steering shaft components get replaced along with the ring, you usually end up rebuilding the Transom assembly by the time you are done. The reason many people replace it with a new assembly lately rather than rebuilding is because by the time you are done there is not much time & money difference... AND you have all new instead of 1/2 new or rebuild old stuff.. We have done quite a bit of the replacements & sold & use the Merc magnum assemblies..

Where are you from? do you plan on repairing it yourself? I could hook you up with the parts , or if you need I can also do the work for you.. Either way, dont let it go un-attended to, it's not safe & can cause other problems... Jamie / Lakeside Restorations 570-639-2628

I'll be taking on the repair myself, could you ball park me a price of a new transom assembly? I live in northern MD, I can tell your from PA by your area code. I am 3 1/2 hours from Wilkes Barre Thanks
Old 09-22-2009, 05:47 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 775 Likes on 353 Posts

Originally Posted by 95Velocity22
I'll be taking on the repair myself, could you ball park me a price of a new transom assembly? I live in northern MD, I can tell your from PA by your area code. I am 3 1/2 hours from Wilkes Barre Thanks
Worn Gimbal Ring and probably worn steering pin - Transom Assemblies are NOT CHEAP.

www.jrmarine.com - this guy has the solution, and will fix your existing ring and sell a new NICE stainless swivel pin.

He also has a method for getting the ring and pin out without pulling the engines but die grinding the back of the assembly out and re-tapping - he sells the plate, the taps, the bolts, etc.....

I had to get this far into my boat last spring and I just decided it was easier to pull the engines - I think I made the right decision. While you are doing it be damn sure to replace EVERYTHING new, bellows, bushings, seals, gimbal bearing (put it in backwards) so that the next time something fails it is someone else's problem; the piece of mind is priceless.
Old 09-22-2009, 07:36 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by knowfun
Don't want to hijack your thread but I just signed up new tonight and can't find where to post a new thread. Help!
Back up one time. It's at the top left side of the drives and lower units threads list.
Old 09-22-2009, 08:48 PM
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by seafordguy
Worn Gimbal Ring and probably worn steering pin - Transom Assemblies are NOT CHEAP.

www.jrmarine.com - this guy has the solution, and will fix your existing ring and sell a new NICE stainless swivel pin.

He also has a method for getting the ring and pin out without pulling the engines but die grinding the back of the assembly out and re-tapping - he sells the plate, the taps, the bolts, etc.....

I had to get this far into my boat last spring and I just decided it was easier to pull the engines - I think I made the right decision. While you are doing it be damn sure to replace EVERYTHING new, bellows, bushings, seals, gimbal bearing (put it in backwards) so that the next time something fails it is someone else's problem; the piece of mind is priceless.
Add up the price of all of those "little" parts.. They do add up quick... Shift cable, bellows, hose, hose keeper, senders, pin, seals, etc.. AND you still have an old TA.. If you add it up it gets to a fairly large # pretty quick excluding labor. Im not saying its not still cheaper, but it does start to justify putting some weight on a new TA. Especially for some people that have one that is corroded or has more issues.. Thats all.. Jamie / Lakeside
Old 09-22-2009, 08:49 PM
Commercial Member

Originally Posted by 95Velocity22
I can, call me when you get a chance & I can go over it briefly with you Jamie / Lakeside Restorations 570-639-2628

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.