What drives for 38 TOP GUN? >

What drives for 38 TOP GUN?

Notices

What drives for 38 TOP GUN?

Old 10-05-2009, 11:00 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Question What drives for 38 TOP GUN?

I want to upgrade my TRS drives on my 88 TOP GUN. I can't decide between the Konrad 540 PRS or go the ADS #6 route. I have Sterling 700HP's and spin a 30 pitch Bravo but I have trouble getting anough bow lift and I've been told that if I run a shorter drive, there is less leverage and therefore LESS bow lift. (This hull has no notched transom or any ventilating steps; just a true deep V). I have read a number of the threads that seem to support the bolt-on Konrad approach but I'm thinking that the ADS may be faster and stronger in the end. Any help with this decision? Any thoughts on using the shorter X-factor lower to move the prop up? Will this improve top speed or be worse for bow lift? Thanks for any help, I have the winter to get this done.
Old 10-05-2009, 11:14 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

The Konrad TRS replacement package has been a great success. I personally have over 400 hrs on the same pair of drives behind 750 hp on my '89 Top Gun. We've converted countless Cigarettes, many of them 'Gun's

The standard length Konrad is 1.7" shorter than the TRS. This increase in propshaft height works perfect on these older boats as the majority of TRS installations were mounted rather deep given the prop selections of the day. Most installations gain 3-5 mph as a direct result of this increase in prop shaft height with the right propeller selection.

As for the optional X-Factor shorty lower gear case, we've found that on a TRS application with a straight bottom, it's too high. From personal testing, the highest you can go on a straight bottom 'Gun is about 3.5-4" below the bottom before the prop slip goes through the roof.

Feel free to give me a shout, (I'm the Konrad factory rep)

Kurt 715-410-0735
Attached Thumbnails What drives for 38 TOP GUN?-img_0401-large-.jpg   What drives for 38 TOP GUN?-img_0397-large-.jpg  
Old 10-05-2009, 11:27 PM
Registered

Thanks for the quick response Kurt...It looks like your TopGun has a notched transom...does this help? I will call you on the number you listed tomorrow 'cause I do have a few questions, and it sounds like your the right guy to hopefully get some answers for this project!! Thanks again for the help!! Beautiful Cigarette by the way!!
Old 10-05-2009, 11:35 PM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

Originally Posted by shrue
Thanks for the quick response Kurt...It looks like your TopGun has a notched transom...does this help? I will call you on the number you listed tomorrow 'cause I do have a few questions, and it sounds like your the right guy to hopefully get some answers for this project!! Thanks again for the help!! Beautiful Cigarette by the way!!
Thanks for the compliments!

From what I've been told, the notch is worth 4-5 mph as they have a little higher X-Dimention.

We've done a dozen or so flat transom Cigarettes. I can put you in touch with a guy who has the exact same boat as yours (88 'Gun, no notch) that converted a couple years ago. He's very pleased.

Kurt
Old 10-06-2009, 12:44 AM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The Arnesons will be the faster choice. You will see a 15+ mph improvement over the TRS drives and you will not have to worry about reliability with the Arnesons

We've got quite a few older Cigarette's with the Arnesons on them and they all run strong.
Attached Thumbnails What drives for 38 TOP GUN?-bigguns.jpg   What drives for 38 TOP GUN?-img_1582.jpg   What drives for 38 TOP GUN?-dsc01349.jpg  

What drives for 38 TOP GUN?-img_2277.jpg  
Old 10-06-2009, 08:16 AM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

I like the Arnesons. I have the old 1600s on a flat deck.

Kris Vogt
Attached Thumbnails What drives for 38 TOP GUN?-sc01188.jpg  
Old 10-06-2009, 08:21 AM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Post deleted.

Last edited by StephenA; 10-06-2009 at 08:37 AM.
Old 10-06-2009, 01:48 PM
Registered

Default Work well with Straight transom?

Originally Posted by Rik
The Arnesons will be the faster choice. You will see a 15+ mph improvement over the TRS drives and you will not have to worry about reliability with the Arnesons

We've got quite a few older Cigarette's with the Arnesons on them and they all run strong.
Rik, my question is will the Arnesons work well with a straight transom or would a notch need to be added for best speed? What about costs and a recommended shop in the Great Lakes area experienced in this conversion?
Old 10-06-2009, 02:11 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by kvogt
I like the Arnesons. I have the old 1600s on a flat deck.

Kris Vogt
kvogt,

How does your flat deck handle? Did you install your drive yourself or have a shop do it? Are there any lessons learned, would you do anything differently? Thanks in advance for your help...

Sam
Old 10-06-2009, 03:17 PM
Registered

Received 32 Likes on 14 Posts

I put the drives on the boat myself with guidance from Rik and others. I am very pleased with my conversion, the boat runs like a bear and I can't break them. Give me a call 262 909-6187 Kris Vogt

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.