trs upgrade to speedmaster 3 >

trs upgrade to speedmaster 3

Notices

trs upgrade to speedmaster 3

Old 10-25-2009, 10:37 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default trs upgrade to speedmaster 3

Asking for some advise on what to due. Im changing my trs ass'y and putting on speed master #3 on my 1989 40ft fountain do i need to change everything or can i change the lower units, will i need to change my gimble housing also, and will the bolt holes in transome be the same to do the swat with the #3 thanks for the help.

Last edited by bumpnuglsnh; 10-25-2009 at 11:00 PM.
Old 10-25-2009, 11:41 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pretty sure the #3's thru #5's take a different transom assy than the TRS drives. #2's are the same being a TRS upper with a sportsmaster lower so your probly looking at some glass and transom work. Not 100% but my 2ct's
Old 10-26-2009, 05:59 AM
Registered

Received 31 Likes on 24 Posts

TRS to SSM III is a complete re-rig. There are many things that need to be changed. The gear housings are completely different and the transom cut/bolt pattern is also not the same as TRS.

Basically, here's the steps:

The TRS transom cut-out needs to be filled and re-cut with raised X-dimention. Exhaust holes filled and re-cut also. (or custom tailpipes as you will need shorter ones anyway)

Motor mounts moved back about 3" (as your existing TRS trans tailstocks will not work on a SSM gimbal, the SSM tailstock is larger in diameter where it plugs into the SSM gimbal and 3" shorter)

Being a Fountain, the rear engine mount was most likely part of the TRS trans tail stock. Since the SSM tail stock (or inner transom plate) does not have the "ears" for the rear mount, you will have to install angle iron brackets on the stringers and fit a rear motor plate between the bell housing and block.

It's a tremendous amount of work only to re-rig with components that are extinct. Most parts for the SSM III are discontunued.

Kurt

Last edited by Biggus; 10-26-2009 at 11:09 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 06:09 AM
Registered

The Konrad TRS conversion is a direct bolt-on for the TRS. I've been running the same pair on my Top Gun for the last six seasons (380 hrs) behind a pair of 750's They've worked flawlessly.

Kurt
Attached Thumbnails trs upgrade to speedmaster 3-img_0401-large-.jpg  
Old 10-26-2009, 10:14 AM
Registered

Wow...... thanks for all that input, alot to think about..Biggus how much time did it take to install those konrad and what does the kit come with. your setup looks awsome..thanks again guys...
Old 10-26-2009, 11:08 AM
Registered

Thanks ! The full installation takes about a day. The full TRS conversion kit includes gimbal assemblies (w/ new trim rams) and drives. You retain the existing TRS inner transom plates. No need to remove the motors, the gimbals can be pulled with the motors/trannies in place.

Feel free to give me a call. 715-410-0735

Last edited by Biggus; 10-26-2009 at 11:25 AM.
Old 10-26-2009, 03:12 PM
Registered

Thanks again saved me from a nightmare....