Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
IMCO SCX anybody running with 900hp or more ? >

IMCO SCX anybody running with 900hp or more ?

Notices

IMCO SCX anybody running with 900hp or more ?

Old 01-06-2010, 09:41 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

does any one have a ballpark on the price of the uppers ?also will drive spacers still work on these, thanks
Old 01-06-2010, 09:41 PM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by 575cat
does any one have a ballpark on the price of the uppers ?also will drive spacers still work on these, thanks
Drive spacers will fit, but you may have trouble finding a coupler that will work. The SCX upper uses a larger spline shaft than the SC lower, so a standard SC or XR coupler wont work. I would imagine, Imco would have a coupler that will allow the use of spacers. I have been waiting for nearly 2 months for them to send me a coupler that will mate my new SCX upper to my SC lower. I have been told it was shipped this week.
Old 01-06-2010, 11:34 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by DonRoc
How long were the SC extreme uppers lasting before blowing?
I blew 1 within 20 hours of having the boat and the other shortly after, i was just running way to much power to the sc drives, if i have too many problems this summer with the sc lowers i will probaby try switching to the scx lower, I was just worried about the handling changing on the boat with the larger and less hydrodynamic scx lowers. I will be doing a teardown of sc lowers before the start of season to inspect gears and see if gears and bearings need changing.
Old 01-09-2010, 11:25 PM
Registered

How much speed loss with the SCX uppers? I lose 4-5mph running my Bmax uppers as compared to the SC uppers which were no better than an XR. The gear treatment helped with the lowers.

Last edited by Back4More; 01-09-2010 at 11:29 PM.
Old 01-10-2010, 05:22 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by Back4More
How much speed loss with the SCX uppers? I lose 4-5mph running my Bmax uppers as compared to the SC uppers which were no better than an XR. The gear treatment helped with the lowers.
I havent tested mine yet, but I have heard to expect no speed loss at all. I find that a bit hard to unberstand, but that is what has been claimed.
Old 01-10-2010, 08:45 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by Back4More
There is definately no speed loss if just the scx upper is used with a standard sc lower, the scx lower is whats slowing people down because its larger and less hydrodaynamic.
Old 01-12-2010, 10:53 PM
Registered

I have to agree with Vinny P in thinking there has to be some loss considering a larger gear set is turning in there. Going from a standard Bravo to an XR even shows loss.
Old 01-13-2010, 04:56 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

One thing you have to consider in switching.. is the drive you have broken in and nice and friction free?? Then you put a new drive on, do you let it get 25hrs on it, before you judge the speed loss??
It should be an apples to apples comparison..
Old 01-13-2010, 10:57 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 5 Likes on 1 Post

There was no speed loss going from a Platinum to a SCX upper with SC lower on my Fountain. 1 season in with no problems. I was breaking 2 outdrives per year before the SCX.
Old 01-13-2010, 03:15 PM
Geronimo36
Gold Member

Received 131 Likes on 36 Posts

Originally Posted by Mr Gadgets
I have a friend, with 36 Apache 825hp.. 150hrs no problems.. missed the old days of working on XR's. He runs it hard also.. Says he never sees over 160* temps.. His XR's would go to 270* and would have to stop and cool them off..

Dick
Dick, I'd love to know more about this project. PM me with any details if you can!

Blue Moon?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.