Max Machine Worx Modified XR >

Max Machine Worx Modified XR

Notices

Max Machine Worx Modified XR

Old 02-18-2010, 07:12 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

They might hold up to a smaller lighter boat with high horsepower. But NOT a heavy boat with high torque.This photo happened at 3000 rpm and cruising.This happened just 3 hours after Aaron and his brother at Max Machine fixed the same drive. First failure was at 20 hours- upper vertical shaft had the splines torn off. Then the upper gear set let go 3 hours later,after Aaron said "We checked everything and replaced all needed parts". To bad for Aaron and his brother-I had someone else look at the drive after the second failure and found All STOCK mercury parts in there! I was then told by Max that yes we had some problems with our parts so we put stock ones in to get it back to you. Aaron then said I WILL NO LONGER WARRANTY THIS DRIVE!!! YOUR ENGINES MAKE TOO MUCH TORQUE AND YOUR BOAT IS TOO HEAVY!!! This is after Aaron said they would hold up to the boat and engines-they were factory installed. I spoke to Aaron before the boat was built.
Attached Thumbnails Max Machine Worx Modified XR-broken-input-shaft.jpg  
Old 02-21-2010, 09:05 AM
Registered

Basically had the same response after sending it back to them at my exspense twice. They knew going in what motor I had in the boat and said there drive would handle it! I put evrything they recommended in the drive, thier vertical shaft, there torsion shafts, tower ete etc! Was told to much power and torque . The boat was a 27 daytona eliminator so I dont think weight was an issue. Most of their parts are stock mercury stuff! I think their tower helps some and their drive may hold up to an extra 100-150hp but thats about it. IMO

Last edited by 32-DD; 02-21-2010 at 04:51 PM.
Old 02-21-2010, 02:39 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Guys for the cost of new XR standard uppers why bother with anything else.I'm paying 3000 - 3500 for standard uppers.You can't beat that.
I would recommend fitting a billet Marine top cap and leave it at that.The gears are the downfall and they are the same in all XR style drives no matter what your told.
900hp 27 Eliminator 34 Bravo,racing not cruising,no issues.
2 x 632 Cuin 800hp 32 Skater,racing,no issues yet.
The major factor i believe to be the killer of drives on the edge is 5 and 6 blade props.I have seen it too much.They just hook up too well.Obviously the person on the sticks is a factor.Easy up and even easier down.
Attached Thumbnails Max Machine Worx Modified XR-2009_powerboatstownsville_0248.jpg  
Old 02-21-2010, 08:14 PM
Registered
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by fastlane40
Guys for the cost of new XR standard uppers why bother with anything else.I'm paying 3000 - 3500 for standard uppers.You can't beat that.
I would recommend fitting a billet Marine top cap and leave it at that.The gears are the downfall and they are the same in all XR style drives no matter what your told.
900hp 27 Eliminator 34 Bravo,racing not cruising,no issues.
2 x 632 Cuin 800hp 32 Skater,racing,no issues yet.
The major factor i believe to be the killer of drives on the edge is 5 and 6 blade props.I have seen it too much.They just hook up too well.Obviously the person on the sticks is a factor.Easy up and even easier down.
My XR has the billet top cap already. So bolt it up, change oil often and leave it alone? Also has Merc Racing ITS. Motor is blown 540
Old 02-21-2010, 09:14 PM
Registered

Received 78 Likes on 47 Posts

Back around 2006 or so I bought some new Max Worx vertical shafts and prop shafts for my XR's---the splines would not assemble/fit together correctly. When I called the Max Worx brothers all they wanted to do was to argue with me---was only trying to tell them what the problem was and I guess they didn't want to hear about it---real nice just after I spent over a few G's with them. With their type of attitude I never did send them back....had Mr. Gadgets/Dick fix them for me instead. Don't intend on doing biz with those guys anymore.
Old 02-22-2010, 07:58 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Kaama,
Sounds like "their" shafts had problems. I was told they over hardened some causing my first failure-tore the splines right off.
Old 02-24-2010, 11:20 PM
Registered

Received 4,326 Likes on 1,241 Posts

Originally Posted by andylohr
Guys I Have Big Hp Behind A Max Modded Bravoe Upper With Strait Cut Upper With There Tower And Top Cap, With A Max Billet Lower 1.35 Ratio And I Have Never Had Trouble My Torque And Hp R Above 1000 ,, And I Cut It No Slack ,, Tall Deck Blown 598 , 1471 With 1050s , 25 Talon , Those Boys Out There At Max Got There Shet Together, I Vouch For Them ,
You capitalize every word that doen`t need to be but lower case your name.. lol