Notices

bravo 1 X Drive

Old 02-20-2010, 06:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default bravo 1 X Drive

I have 06 496ho with Bravo 1 X drives, the port drive is very stiff going into reverse. There is no noise in the drive and always goes in reverse but at 3 times the normal effort, forward goes smoothly. I disconnected the forward cable at engine and cable moves smoothly. With forward cable disconnected, running engine it was still very stiff shifting in reverese using only rear cable. Drive fluid appears clean and no excessive debri on magnet.

Any ideas on what the problem might be?
Old 02-21-2010, 05:17 AM
I hate the winter!!
Platinum Member

There are many things that can cause that condition. The drive cable can be stiff. There can be a problem with the cone clutch, the upper vertical shaft, garter spring, the shoft fork, etc.. You may be able to see something if you remove the back cover. If not, the drive will have to be removed to check the cable or to tear down the upper.
Old 02-21-2010, 09:07 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

the neutral indent ball on the back of the drive can cause a hard shifting one way or the other, or both. if you pull the back cover and check the ball and indent, you can also use a dremel tool to releave the indent so it's not such a steep ramp. If it all looks good there, refer back to vinny p's post.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:13 PM
Registered

I will check it out and see where it leads me! Thanks for the input. Im hoping it is nothing to serious $$$.
Old 02-21-2010, 12:30 PM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,783 Likes on 884 Posts

Its most likely the shift cable or detent ball/shift linkage assembly inside the back cover. Neither is a real expensive fix, but the drive has to come off to replace the linkage assembly.
Old 02-21-2010, 01:00 PM
Registered

I hope you right!!!
Old 03-06-2010, 09:19 PM
Registered

I pulled the rear cover off the drive today and there is some corrosion around the shift linkage...I disconnected both ends and the cable feels very rough when pulling in and out, so I am assuming the cable is junk? How does moisture get in that area?

Last edited by xhere; 03-06-2010 at 09:22 PM.
Old 03-07-2010, 02:11 AM
Charter Member # 55
Charter Member

Received 1,783 Likes on 884 Posts

It happens, but on an 06, I would not expect it. My boat was over 10 years old before the linkage and lower cable needed replaced. Probably needs the lower shift cable. If the linkage looks pretty good, you could probably just clean it up.
Old 03-07-2010, 06:01 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If the seal on the back cap or the oring on the front of the drive, or the surface it seals to is not clean and smooth, it will allow water to enter that cavity where the linkage is.. and water can creep into the cable.. Bingo.. junk.

Dick
Old 03-07-2010, 08:16 PM
Registered

Pulled the drive today and the shift cable looked as if it had been melted between the bellows and where it goes into the drive housing....which seemed kind of weird. Plus the cable was siezed in the housing and had to drill it out. But I did get it replaced and seems to shift fine now! Thanks all for your help!