Notices

lover unit ? X dimension

Old 03-21-2010, 05:36 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default lover unit ? X dimension

boat 1998 wellcaft scarab 26,
engine 2005 496 mag ho +raylar kit/ 530 hp / bravo X
I have upgraded the engine with raylar kit this winteren wonder switching underwater case for a shorter unit but is unsure whether it will give some good effect on boat speed and features. bravo x drive,,
The x dimension on my boat are 16"
need advice or what I should choose 1,2,3 inches shorter or hvat ever will be the right choice?

I have used propeller bravo 26 any proposal for a new propeller has 100 hp more now

Tom
Old 03-21-2010, 10:22 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

Tom,
Best thing to do is find someone that has been down your path. Usually a shortie will help, but it depends on how the boat is setup and works for you now.
I know if you can get on plane with a 3 blade prop, you should not have problems with a -2" getting on plane. I dont know how deep your propshaft is below the hull, and I dont know how it will effect handling. There again..do a search on OSO for someone that might have the same boat and tried it..
The -3" shorty does take some cutting to make it fit a Bravo.. there was a thread on it a while back..

Hope this helps.. Sorry I can give you more definitive answers.
Dick
Old 03-23-2010, 07:21 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

I had one like MR GADGETS said if you can get on plane with a 3 blade then good chance yes. 1st put your drive in level to the keel of your boat take a tape and get the measurement from the prop shaft to keel mine was 7'' one the baja and 7 1/2 on the saber way deep. if you are at between 5'' to 4 1/2'' go to a 1'', if your at 6 1/2'' go to a 2''. at 16 '' I think your at 5'' prop shaft hope it helps I pick up a lot with the baja and hope a lot this spring with the saber.
Old 03-25-2010, 07:34 PM
Registered

Received 18 Likes on 9 Posts

With that x dim your about 7 1/2" deep. Don't quote me on the exact numbers. I just raised mine when I replaced the transom. Mine was 8" deep at 15 1/4" and I raised it to 18 1/4" so the prop should be at 5". This is just from memory, I did not look anything up.
Old 03-25-2010, 08:25 PM
Registered

Received 24 Likes on 15 Posts

I don't know about you guys, but I want my "lover unit x dimension" checked by a woman................