refurbishing prop shafts? >

refurbishing prop shafts?

Notices

refurbishing prop shafts?

Old 04-20-2010, 10:57 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default refurbishing prop shafts?

My merc guy just informed me that the seven b2x lowers I was keeping for "spare parts" all have bad seal and bearing surfaces. All of these came from drives that blew something, I suppose due to water intrusion from the bad lower seal. From what I've heard from machine shops here, it's cost prohibitive to resurface the shafts. At $950, I would like to think there is a way. Any ideas? If nothing else, I have a mountain of bravo upper and lower housings. Although most of these suffered either from water intrusion or a chipped upper gear, (seems like they should be rebuildable) my guy says it's not worth it as the gears have changed. It would be great to hear some input as my shed is full. Should I put the cases on ebay and junk the guts? Thanks in advance.
Old 04-20-2010, 03:31 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

I am not sure how the b2 lowers are setup, if you could use a speedy sleeve to repair the seal area or not. Then you would have to find one that was the right size. I know they make alot of them, but I have never had to search for one for the shafts you are speaking of. I have never worked on a b2 lower.

The upper housings, depending on how old they are, can be rebuildable to a point. If the tower is warped, it can be replaced. If the floor is warped it can be fixed. If the snout is warped, it can also be fixed. But cost to do it adds up.. If the case is newer, and the newer the stronger they are, it can be worth it. But not everyone can determine what needs to be fixed, or how to do it properly.

Hope that helps.
Dick
Old 04-21-2010, 09:59 AM
Registered

Thanks for the input. We tried a speedy sleeve, but couldn't get it by the bearing. Sounds like I'll have some parts for sale cheap...
Old 04-21-2010, 12:44 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Possibly a company that repairs crankshaft journals could do it. They have a machine that welds them up and then they grind them back to size. I had a stroker crank that had a damaged journal on it repaired at Lunati one time. They must be pretty big grooves in them. I've seen some really bad ones before that didn't leak.
Old 04-22-2010, 09:31 AM
Registered

Some of them are bad, some aren't so bad. The boat sees 900hrs a year. It's just not worth the risk of a leak developing and taking out the drive. If I could check more often, I'd probably be more apt to try one. So far, I haven't found anyone willing to turn one. Seems that the bearing surface is the tougher one to deal with.
Old 04-22-2010, 04:16 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

Talk to Gary Kollofski he can get it done for you. He's had some number 5 shafts done for me and they came out perfect. He has some number 5 drive stuff listed for sale in the classifieds.
gary's#
gk systems 612-247-7081

Tom
Old 04-22-2010, 04:31 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 74 Likes on 47 Posts

I also have this bravo 2 prop shaft that came out of a 1997 drive . Tom
Attached Thumbnails refurbishing prop shafts?-mvc-008s.jpg