Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
who has broke a scx imco drive? >

who has broke a scx imco drive?

Notices

who has broke a scx imco drive?

Old 09-19-2010, 04:43 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

Your polishing looks great but is probably actually slowing you down a couple mph. General consensus is rougher is faster. Probably why sportmasters come with that slightly rough satin finish.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:20 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Strip Poker 388
When I bought my Hustler it came with the Bmax drives,I dont think there was much speed loss over the xr's it ran within 2 mph of the factory test report.

On the B-Max foot,As far as speed loss I went from the standard bravo one on mine to the crescent lower and saw maybe1 mph in speed. I then started thinning the skeg and smoothing,thinning the foot as much as I could,they come pretty thick form the casting.Im sure the polishing helped

before and after pick
Those are some nice looking B-Max's.
Old 09-19-2010, 09:33 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by bobsbillets
Your polishing looks great but is probably actually slowing you down a couple mph. General consensus is rougher is faster. Probably why sportmasters come with that slightly rough satin finish.
Im guessing that whatever finish is on the Navy's nuclear submarines.. is probably the fastest.

A submarines skin is somewhat rough to the touch.
I checked.

Chris
Old 09-19-2010, 10:34 PM
Registered

Received 13 Likes on 7 Posts

Originally Posted by kap328
Here are the two photos one with modfied cav plate.

and the other is running a Number 6 cleaver.

[IMG][/IMG]

[IMG][/IMG]

Here you go fellas.

KAP
What diameter cleaver is that? Or how big of diameter prop can be ran with an XR?
Old 09-19-2010, 11:05 PM
Registered

Received 278 Likes on 97 Posts

Originally Posted by sunfun
We have a 96 Cigarette Cafe Racer, a heavy flat bottom boat! Running appr. 800 HP each motor with blowers. Blew 5 Imco SC's in 1 season! This year put on 2 complete Imco SCX's with 1.34 gears 2" extensions. We have put on 90hrs this year, NO problems or issues! Strong drives, very smooth shifting. Lost about 8 MPH but all worth it! Tried numerous props, can't gain it back! Well worth the investment!
Glad to hear you have not had any problems! That my number 1 goal. Not sure I can handle losing 8mph though. I thought only cats lost that much speed. I put 100-150 hours on a year and would like to not break, but still go fast of coarse!

So if I do buy a pair of SCX and lose speed I will build the motors for more power, then I might break the SCX and be back to square one again. This sucks! I like the easy bolt on install of the scx and not having to remove my engines cause I can work through my stand off boxes.

Makes the Arneson bravo conversion look more appealing. Rated for the same HP as the SCX (850) but should require less to turn, less drag, and more speed. Plus I could sell my current stand off boxes and steering to make the cost the same or less. Only down side is more labor for me. Have to remove the engines to change motor mount and drill some holes.

The Xpower drive would be awesome if the price was better and more info was out there. The owner of X power sold me on how good the drive is during my phone call. Surface drive, rooster tail, dry sump, bolt on, etc!

B max upper is great, but the lower does not impress me over the sc I had. I like the new owner though, good customer service when I have called.

Thanks for all the input. Still researching. Hopefully I make a decision by the Miami boat show and get the new drives ordered and installed by june!

Last edited by offshorexcursion; 09-19-2010 at 11:07 PM.
Old 09-20-2010, 04:03 AM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Received 817 Likes on 374 Posts

Originally Posted by offshorexcursion
Glad to hear you have not had any problems! That my number 1 goal. Not sure I can handle losing 8mph though. I thought only cats lost that much speed. I put 100-150 hours on a year and would like to not break, but still go fast of coarse!

So if I do buy a pair of SCX and lose speed I will build the motors for more power, then I might break the SCX and be back to square one again. This sucks! I like the easy bolt on install of the scx and not having to remove my engines cause I can work through my stand off boxes.

Makes the Arneson bravo conversion look more appealing. Rated for the same HP as the SCX (850) but should require less to turn, less drag, and more speed. Plus I could sell my current stand off boxes and steering to make the cost the same or less. Only down side is more labor for me. Have to remove the engines to change motor mount and drill some holes.

The Xpower drive would be awesome if the price was better and more info was out there. The owner of X power sold me on how good the drive is during my phone call. Surface drive, rooster tail, dry sump, bolt on, etc!

B max upper is great, but the lower does not impress me over the sc I had. I like the new owner though, good customer service when I have called.

Thanks for all the input. Still researching. Hopefully I make a decision by the Miami boat show and get the new drives ordered and installed by june!
Where do you boat mainly , I run in your area a few times a year,Smitty
Old 09-20-2010, 02:13 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by JRider
What diameter cleaver is that? Or how big of diameter prop can be ran with an XR?
Reply to JRider:

Lower photo depicts a SCX upper and SCX lower with a two inch prop shaft to run cleavers.

It is a 16 inch and you cannot go any bigger nada that is it on diameter. I had about an eighth +/- inch clearance and that is bare minimum.

Why! because the blades will flex when you jump on it and thus increasing the diameter ever so slightly. You do not want to hit the cav plate with those high dollar props.

I have not broken the SCX upper yet. I have smoked a lower gear set recently. The SCX/SCX combo is tough and a strong combo... only problem it scrubs speed to much.

When the weather starts to cool down some more I will see what a few other mods will do for the top end.

KAP
Old 09-20-2010, 08:03 PM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

KAP,

Quit whining and go get yourself a shorty lower!

Then you can at least whine in an educated manner!

Chris
Old 09-20-2010, 11:48 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by CB-BLR
KAP,

Quit whining and go get yourself a shorty lower!

Then you can at least whine in an educated manner!

Chris
Hey Chris:

Funny!

Uhhh! are you volunteering your lower unit for me to try? I recall you have a one inch shorty---only problem is I do not want to buy it if I break it.

Trust me! I want the boat done and dialed so I can de-tune the motor into family mode....ha ha. Almost done we will be at the Absolute Speed and Marine run in a few weeks.

So stay tuned.

KAP
Old 09-21-2010, 05:29 PM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 4 Posts

offshorexcursion,
My friend with the 36' Apache/SCX/SCX, did not loose 8mph. He was running within 2mph of what he was with the XRs. He has made some changes to his intercooler setups and he is going as fast as he was before.. this is only 96-97mph, not 120mph like Kap. The intercooler mods could only be worth 25-50hp to gain back his lost 2mph.
If Kap hasnt broken his SCX.. I think you will need a lot more power to break one.
Just my .02...
Dick

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.