Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Anyone use All American Drive Service? >

Anyone use All American Drive Service?

Notices

Anyone use All American Drive Service?

Old 01-19-2019, 07:07 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

I only paid $6500 to rebuild my drive and i had to get a new housing it was so bad.
Old 01-19-2019, 07:48 AM
Registered

Received 121 Likes on 66 Posts

According to his website, it looks like his phase 4 mod is 8999.00 with a rebuildable case. Personally at that price, I would still go with the IMCO SCX upper, the lower is rarely the issue. It's the upper case, lame XR gears, and clutch shaft, those are the problem areas of a Bravo. The case can be improved by switching to an IMCO SC case, IMCO also makes a stronger clutch shaft, but you are still stuck with the Bravo gears. For the guy that cannot rebuild their own drives, or for someone that has a standard Bravo drive and wants to make sure it's the best a Bravo can be, I'm sure George does a great job. A lot of people seem happy.

Just out of curiosity ThisisLivin, how many hours have you put on your drive so far, and what kind of power do you have in front of it? Being in Cheboygan you obviously boat in Lake Michigan/Huron.

I really wish AADS showed side by side comparisons of what he has done to improve certain parts.
Old 01-21-2019, 07:25 AM
Registered

Received 398 Likes on 229 Posts

Originally Posted by endeavour32
According to his website, it looks like his phase 4 mod is 8999.00 with a rebuildable case. Personally at that price, I would still go with the IMCO SCX upper, the lower is rarely the issue. It's the upper case, lame XR gears, and clutch shaft, those are the problem areas of a Bravo. The case can be improved by switching to an IMCO SC case, IMCO also makes a stronger clutch shaft, but you are still stuck with the Bravo gears. For the guy that cannot rebuild their own drives, or for someone that has a standard Bravo drive and wants to make sure it's the best a Bravo can be, I'm sure George does a great job. A lot of people seem happy.

Just out of curiosity ThisisLivin, how many hours have you put on your drive so far, and what kind of power do you have in front of it? Being in Cheboygan you obviously boat in Lake Michigan/Huron.

I really wish AADS showed side by side comparisons of what he has done to improve certain parts.
I probably have 40 hours on the last rebuild and I'm pushing 700hp. My boat isn't too heavy, but I only know how to drive one way and that is to use what you got. I've been out in 8 footers on Lake Huron and had the boat so high off the water my wife could see the entire boat above the beak water at the harbor. If the waves are pretty evenly spaced, I've done 65 in 3 footers and 85 in 1.5's. I run 0-60 in under 9 seconds, I could go faster if the prop wouldn't beak out. I do run the NEO oil he recommends to keep the warranty and check the magnets regularly and they are clean, barely enough fuzz to leave a mark on paper towel.
Old 01-29-2019, 09:41 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

If anyone wants to improve the life of the Bravo Outdrive ,, install a Drive Guardian,,look at their website ,,its proven to work.
Old 01-30-2019, 04:19 AM
Registered

Received 54 Likes on 24 Posts

I think a Drive Guardian only solves half of the problem. Its great for rough water and definitely will solve the issue of the prop coming out of the water and shock of re entry. However, it will do nothing to solve the issue of a 700+ hp motor mated to a drive rated at 600 hp. The gears are simply not designed to handle the torque load. They will still fail prematurely.
Old 01-30-2019, 07:22 AM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

My gears started pitting under stock power at 420 hours. The gears suck, period.
Old 01-30-2019, 10:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 26 Likes on 20 Posts

I agree the XR gears are a problem,,,I have a box full of XR pitted gears in my repair shop,,but I also see a lot of broken and shredded gears from impact at re entry after getting air. ,,thats where the drive guardian helps,,, for big hp SCX is much better.
Old 02-01-2019, 02:56 PM
Registered

Received 9 Likes on 8 Posts

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me
My gears started pitting under stock power at 420 hours. The gears suck, period.

uh ,,,,,, 420?
Old 02-01-2019, 03:15 PM
Registered

Received 749 Likes on 402 Posts

Originally Posted by offthefront
uh ,,,,,, 420?
That would seem high in a performance boat but that was in a runabout with a 496 MAG.