Bravo one gimbal bearing installation >

Bravo one gimbal bearing installation

Notices

Bravo one gimbal bearing installation

Old 06-07-2010, 08:46 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts
Default Bravo one gimbal bearing installation

I'm getting ready to install a new gimbal bearing that I bought for my bravo one outdrive and I had a question. The gimbal bearing has one side that has kind of like two wide skinny holes, one on each end of the bearing so one of the sides has two of them. Is that side supposed to face any particular way? Does it matter if I install it facing the engine or is it supposed to face the outdrive? just wanted to ask before I installed it? The link to the picture is below

http://i744.photobucket.com/albums/xx85/cabalea/014.jpg

Last edited by 272bajadriver; 06-07-2010 at 08:56 PM.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:50 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 774 Likes on 353 Posts

According to Mercruiser the two notches in the housing are supposed to face the back of the engines. Many people (myself included) install them facing backwards towards the drive. Those notches allow the bearing to turn 90* perpendicular and slide out of those notches. I install them that way because then if you ever have a gimbal bearing go bad you can just put a screwdriver in it, turn it sideways, pull it out with your fingers, put the new one in, bolt the drive up, and go boating.
Old 06-07-2010, 08:57 PM
Registered

Received 8 Likes on 7 Posts

so then it really doesn't matter then? the way your saying to do it just makes it easier if it needs to be replaced again
Old 06-08-2010, 01:34 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by 272bajadriver
so then it really doesn't matter then? the way your saying to do it just makes it easier if it needs to be replaced again
Yes - I had a bellows get an obscure crack in it 2 years ago. Consequently it ruined the bearing. I simply stuck a screwdriver in the bearing, turned it the 90* and pulled it out of the housing between those two notches.

When you put the new one in you will want to pull the bearing out, then hammer the race/housing into the transom assembly, and then put the bearing in IMHO. Mine have been in that way for years....
Old 06-08-2010, 05:30 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

OK i have a lot of slack i see it in the gimble ring where the nut turns the out drive do i need a gimble ring or a berring help.
Old 06-08-2010, 08:09 PM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Originally Posted by rlong
OK i have a lot of slack i see it in the gimble ring where the nut turns the out drive do i need a gimble ring or a berring help.
If you are talking about the nut on the top, the problem you are experiencing is that over time the gimbal ring has worn and most likely the swivel pin has also worn.

There are some good pictures/commentary/repair techniques on www.rjmarine.com - go there and take a look around - you might want to start a separate thread so that we don't hijack this one, and also so that you get responses to YOUR question....