Intermittent trim issue >

Intermittent trim issue

Notices

Intermittent trim issue

Old 06-28-2010, 05:54 PM
Registered

Received 33 Likes on 24 Posts
Default Intermittent trim issue

About had to put boat back on trailer this weekend due to drive not going down. On occassion my stbd TRS will not react to trim- in either direction. Happens on both the throttle switch & the dash drive switch. I have found that if i use the throttle switch to bring them all the way back down & then try & raise again (or reverse process to go down) it seems to somehow start reacting again.

i can hear the solenoid doing something back there on both throttle & dash switch, so i know its getting power. it has fluids, so i am clueless on where to start troubleshooting. After the incident fri, it seemed to work pretty well rest of weekend.
Old 06-29-2010, 08:21 AM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

have someone work the switch while you do a volt check on the motor, with the switch pressed you should have power on 1 leg of the trim motor and power on the other wire when switched to the other direction, if there is power there, the solenoid is OK and the motor is bad, if there is no power then the solenoid is bad.
Old 06-29-2010, 09:33 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by hoozeyurdaddy
have someone work the switch while you do a volt check on the motor, with the switch pressed you should have power on 1 leg of the trim motor and power on the other wire when switched to the other direction, if there is power there, the solenoid is OK and the motor is bad, if there is no power then the solenoid is bad.
thanks, ill do that this weekend.
Old 07-10-2010, 09:51 PM
Registered

Started w/ the trim buttons to make sure the wiring was fine.

May have found the problem. While messing w/ the switches we noticed on occasion that the switch wasnt activating the motors.

The "in" of switch were wired to a single diode before wire runs to throttle switch. This diode actually had one of the ends broke off. The "out" of switch had a diode on each wire before combining on way to throttle switch. All of the diodes just had the wire wrapped around & taped.

Next weekend i am going to try & rewire it. Can i just take a wire off each drive switch & solder to the diode, then wire to the throttle switch (for each position)? Not sure why they used one diode on a side, two on the other. Also, anyone know what size diode i need? i forgot to bring one w/ me for reference.