Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Switching from XZ to old Bravo - Gimbal bearing? >

Switching from XZ to old Bravo - Gimbal bearing?

Notices

Switching from XZ to old Bravo - Gimbal bearing?

Old 07-05-2010, 08:39 AM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts
Default Switching from XZ to old Bravo - Gimbal bearing?

As per other post my XZ is having some issues with spitting metal in to the gear oil. I have my original 89 Bravo drive available for a backup while rebuilding my XZ.

If I remember correctly part of the installation process of the XZ from the Bravo was to change gimbal bearing to one with a larger whole to accept the larger shaft? If so I am assuming that I cannot just pull my XZ and slide the old Bravo in its place without changing gimbal bearing. I am aware of the prop shaft sizes and I have both flo torque hubs so no worries there.

If the gimbal bearing holes are different sizes what about putting a sleeve on my old Bravo shaft? This would allow me to have a hot spare laying around.

Last edited by BadDog; 07-05-2010 at 08:56 AM.
Old 07-06-2010, 12:18 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

Found my answer and for those who were curious. Newer "Red Dot" gimbal bearing will work with any Bravo drive. The "Red Dot" bearing has been replaced by yet another more current PN that again will work with any Bravo drive but is not greasable. Myself I think I would start looking for NOS of the Red Dot bearing.

Someone correct me if I am wrong...