XR Help Needed. Weird.... >

XR Help Needed. Weird....

Notices

XR Help Needed. Weird....

Old 07-13-2010, 09:24 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default XR Help Needed. Weird....

Last year I took out a coupler on my boat, seems like the drive locked up for a second and wiped out the coupler. Naturally we thought the problem was in the drive so we tore into it. Nothing in the drive was broken, there was some metal flakes floating around inside the drive. Nothing major. The worst wear was on the brass part of the gears where the shift fork rides. This was pretty chewed up bad enough we replaced the gears.We threw all new parts at the drive since they were well worn, shift fork upper shaft and a few other pieces.

The drive worked fine for about 10 hours max. All short runs and no high speed passes. The longest run I had was 15 minutes at about 45 to 50. Last weekend while on the first leg of a poker run, it was about 23 miles I was running at 55 to 65 mph which for me is about 3500 to 4200. Trying to take it easy so I didn't break anything. The water was pretty smooth the drivers never left the water.

Right at about 20 miles I took out the same coupler again. When I pulled the boat out of the water the drive spun freely in both directions shifted into fwd and rev just fine. It did have a slight drag i could feel when spinning the prop.

So I pulled the drive and found nothing too bad. Basically the same scenario as last time, The brass part of the gear is worn. Everything else looks great.

I find it hard to believe those little pieces of brass could lock up a drive spinning 4k rpm and take out a HP coupler.

So I am at a loss.

Any ideas what might of caused this. Here are some pictures of the trans and gears.

Old 07-14-2010, 07:07 PM
Registered

have you checked engine alignment
Old 07-14-2010, 07:44 PM
Registered

I have the alignment was right on. it was checked a couple of times, once when I replaced the motor and then again last year when I took out the last coupler