prop drags in neutral?? >

prop drags in neutral??

Notices

prop drags in neutral??

Old 10-25-2010, 09:06 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default prop drags in neutral??

I have been looking at a 1990 290 enticer, while running it on the hose i noticed the right prop would drag in neutral..but shifts fine. i have since bought the boat and have had it out several times with no problems other than the sloppy steering. I have pulled the drives and gimbals and sent them out to jrmarine. i did notice that the drive that had the drag had some creamy metal on the magnet, the other had nothing, fluid looks great in both. I have been told the linkage is slightly out of adjustment. What in the bravo inner workings would cause it to drag like that? I plan to replace everything while in there including shift cables. Should i investigate further while drive is off? Or just adjust cables properly and watch it? i don't know how long its been dragging but probably what caused the metal on the magnet..No chunks mind you just creamy. Thankyou for any info!!
Old 10-25-2010, 10:03 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

What do you mean drag? You mean the prop is spinning slightly in neutral? Does it have through prop exhaust? I have seen props spin in neutral that had that setup.

Creamy metal being milkshake colored oil or just a bit of fuzz?

Oh yeah, what kind of drive is it?
Old 10-26-2010, 05:28 PM
Registered

it has captains call, but that should not have anything to do with the prop spinning. yes, it spins slowly when in neutral. but don't do it since I bought it??
Old 10-27-2010, 04:53 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

If the linkage is misadjusted, it could cause the cone to be draging on a gear.. Try wiggling the shift lever while you spin the prop. If no change,
Then I would pull the lower and try it. Otherwise get it looked at..
Old 10-27-2010, 06:13 PM
Registered

I think it was just where he had the shift lever, since i bought the boat it has been doing fine without any drag. I will be replacing the shift cables so they will get adjusted properly. I'll check it out when i get everything back together. Thanks for the info!