Go Back  Offshoreonly.com > Technical > Drives and Lower Units
Too much vertical play in outdrive? >

Too much vertical play in outdrive?

Notices

Too much vertical play in outdrive?

Old 11-09-2010, 08:47 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Too much vertical play in outdrive?

So what do you guys think? Too much vertical play?

First part of vid is port engine, second half is starboard.

Thanks!

[YOUTUBE]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qQDMb6jlGzI[/YOUTUBE]
Old 11-09-2010, 09:05 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

To much play big time.
Old 11-09-2010, 09:46 PM
Registered

Received 690 Likes on 276 Posts

are the trim cylinders the only thing allowing it to move?? if so they have rebuild kits, which are cheap and easy to do.
Old 11-09-2010, 10:31 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

It all depends on where the play is at? If it's in the gimble pivot points then it's way too much slop. If it's only in the rams then the question is wether or not it has slop while the rams are under pressure while the engines are running. Also you don't show or say anything about side to side play?
Old 11-09-2010, 11:10 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=fireboatpilot;3250323]It all depends on where the play is at? If it's in the gimble pivot points then it's way too much slop. If it's only in the rams then the question is wether or not it has slop while the rams are under pressure while the engines are running.

Thats a good point but the port while less play still moves and the rams don't seem to compress at all.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:05 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Look for a leak in the hydraulic hoses. Most likely the cause. Check this again after you get the air out of the hydraulics to make sure there is not slop in the upper pin. Lead could be anywhere from the pump to the transom.
Old 11-10-2010, 08:26 AM
Registered

You guys are on the right track. Great questions....

are the trim cylinders the only thing allowing it to move?? if so they have rebuild kits, which are cheap and easy to do.
As far as I can tell, the movement is in the rams. Feels nice and tight up top and pivots nicely.

It all depends on where the play is at? If it's in the gimble pivot points then it's way too much slop. If it's only in the rams then the question is wether or not it has slop while the rams are under pressure while the engines are running. Also you don't show or say anything about side to side play?
I'll check with it running. Was a little late last night to fire her up. Side to side, there is NO movement. But I wouldn't expect any with the tie bar between the two outdrives and steering ram hydraulics connected. I will have to disconnect those to check the side-side-gimble play.

Thats a good point but the port while less play still moves and the rams don't seem to compress at all.
Good point about engine running. gonna check anyways. But yeah, starboard engine is pretty rock solid.

Let's just say that there is a hydraulics issue that is allowing this much movement. Wouldn't this also tell you that there would be an issue with the gimble pivot, since even though the hydraulics are not holding it, the gimble pivot point shouldn't be that loose?

Maybe not....I'm thinking that if the gimble pivot is loose then, I would see movement at the top toward that point and not just at the rams.

Checking rams......
Old 11-10-2010, 09:00 AM
Gold Member
Gold Member

Received 770 Likes on 352 Posts

The port side you can see the ram moving in and out quite a bit.

Mine has a little slop in them and it comes from the rod that runs through the cylinders on the front and backside. I should have replaced my rubber bushings last time I had them off but I was an idiot.
Old 11-10-2010, 04:10 PM
Registered

Received 7 Likes on 7 Posts

That play could be caused by air in the "memory" piston of the trim ram. I think that trimming the drive hard against each stop can help push the air out from between the solid piston and the piston mounted on the rod.
Old 11-10-2010, 06:06 PM
Registered

Thanks!

I'll disconnect the tie bar and then trim the drive up and down and see if it works any of the air out. I need to take it off anyways to check steering play.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.