Merc 525sc drive problem >

Merc 525sc drive problem

Notices

Merc 525sc drive problem

Old 12-16-2010, 06:58 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Merc 525sc drive problem

Just looking for some help here, I just installed a fresh (1995) merc 525sc engine in my 24' checkmate that has a bravo 1X drive. Well after not being able to install the drive I realized that nobody used a bravo drive for this application. Does anyone know what drive was used for the 525sc engines back then? my bravo 1X drive wont go into the 525sc engine coupler, any help would be appreciated much, thank you.

Last edited by sonicbob007; 12-16-2010 at 07:01 PM. Reason: added
Old 12-16-2010, 07:51 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 224 Likes on 129 Posts

Have you checked it with an alignment tool ?
Old 12-16-2010, 08:11 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 2 Posts

I would think Bravo drives were used on those. Sounds like you must have the wrong coupler. How did this project come together? Is it the original drive and transom assembly? If so then you should have also used the original coupler. What was the original engine?The motor itself shouldn't be the problem. Did you use an alginment tool when you installed the engine? Need more info on what went on here.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:12 PM
Registered

Absolutly, got it right on the money. I"m thinking it does not have a Bravo coupler, pretty sure they came with one of mercs racing drives.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:22 PM
Registered

My 96 checkmate had a 454 magnum engine with the bravo 1 drive. I purchased the 525sc from out west, it only had 190hrs on it but I freshened it up. Iwas told it came out of a fountain with twins, it came with a brand new bravo1X drive so it was not used with this engine. I finished the install and did all the finals tweeking on the motor this morning, then did the engine alighnment and tried to install my drive, spent 2hrs trying when I finally realized it's not me and I've done this 100 times in 28yrs using a merc alighnment too, they always slip right in. This time it makes it up to the studes and it's locked there, even have a hard time removing it from there, tryed everything, I then went to the Bam marine site and all the 525sc engines seem to have come with tranmissions or racing drives so I think the coupler is different than a bravo coupler, I researched bravo couplers and they are good for bravo 1,2 &3 drives but I cannot even locate a 525 coupler? I am going to try to count the splines in the morning using a flashlight and after cleaning the grease away in there, then I'll count the splines on the drive and see whats up.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:28 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by sonicbob007
My 96 checkmate had a 454 magnum engine with the bravo 1 drive. I purchased the 525sc from out west, it only had 190hrs on it but I freshened it up. Iwas told it came out of a fountain with twins, it came with a brand new bravo1X drive so it was not used with this engine. I finished the install and did all the finals tweeking on the motor this morning, then did the engine alighnment and tried to install my drive, spent 2hrs trying when I finally realized it's not me and I've done this 100 times in 28yrs using a merc alighnment too, they always slip right in. This time it makes it up to the studes and it's locked there, even have a hard time removing it from there, tryed everything, I then went to the Bam marine site and all the 525sc engines seem to have come with tranmissions or racing drives so I think the coupler is different than a bravo coupler, I researched bravo couplers and they are good for bravo 1,2 &3 drives but I cannot even locate a 525 coupler? I am going to try to count the splines in the morning using a flashlight and after cleaning the grease away in there, then I'll count the splines on the drive and see whats up.
One more thing, I was using this X drive with my origional engine while I freshened up the 525 for a whole year, removed and reinstalled it twice with 0 effort, it just won't go into this 525 coupler.
Old 12-16-2010, 08:31 PM
Registered

correct me if I'm wrong but I think In 1995 they had the Bravo 1 drive, I find it hard to believe that merc would mate up a Bravo 1 drive capable of 375hp to a engine that has 490 propshaft hp, or maybe they would but they must of had lots of junk piles of bravo 1's
Old 12-16-2010, 09:47 PM
Registered

So if I have this right your new 525 came with a coupler on it. It's probably a drive plate that's used with a transmission and not an actual Bravo type coupler. Sounds like you are going to have to pull the engine and use the setup that was on the 454 mag or get a hi perf bravo type coupler. Probably has a drive plate on it for a Borg-Warner type transmission. I've known people to run 500+ hp in front of bravo drives. Being a lighter 24' boat will be in your favor also.
Old 12-16-2010, 10:00 PM
Registered

This is probably what your going to need.
http://www.keitheickert.com/c-278-drive-couplers.aspx

This type for transmissions probably came with the 525.
http://www.keitheickert.com/c-277-dampener-plates.aspx

Last edited by picklenjim; 12-17-2010 at 12:01 AM.
Old 12-16-2010, 11:15 PM
Registered

Received 2 Likes on 2 Posts

Originally Posted by picklenjim
So if I have this right your new 525 came with a coupler on it. It's probably a drive plate that's used with a transmission and not an actual Bravo type coupler. Sounds like you are going to have to pull the engine and use the setup that was on the 454 mag or get a hi perf bravo type coupler. Probably has a drive plate on it for a Borg-Warner type transmission. I've known people to run 500+ hp in front of bravo drives. Being a lighter 24' boat will be in your favor also.
That's what i can't figure out... Why not just use your old coupler?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.