Notices

SCX w/SCX lower

Old 01-13-2011, 01:25 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts

let me know if you are going to sell them, I was going to steer to the number 6 props with the scx lowers but you are right , I was talking to jeff at hering and they will cast up thicker blade bravo props at the same cost as standard .My settup is full surfaceing of the props and I dont want to change that , thanks dean
Old 01-13-2011, 02:19 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 569 Likes on 262 Posts

I am confused. How do you make them Surfaceing vs standard? Shorties?
Old 01-13-2011, 02:23 PM
Registered

very high x and shaft height w 2 inch shortys, right now my shaft height is about 1 inch above the bottom w 2 inch short sportmasters and also 18 inch crank centers, socalled full surfacing props which the bravos do not like or will last !
Old 01-13-2011, 08:12 PM
Rik
arneson-industries.com
Offshoreonly Advertiser

Received 4 Likes on 4 Posts

Everyone is talking 'Surfacing" and no one wants to loose speed or spend the money only to continue the maintenance cycle that they currently have.

Why not just fix the problem once and for all and go Arnesons?
Old 01-14-2011, 01:21 AM
Chris
Gold Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Originally Posted by Rik
Everyone is talking 'Surfacing" and no one wants to loose speed or spend the money only to continue the maintenance cycle that they currently have.

Why not just fix the problem once and for all and go Arnesons?
Rik...I love your drives...and think they are great.

But what is solution for the guy with a 1200hp single engined cat or v-bottom?

I have heard that there are quite a few people that have tried the single engined Arneson route...that could not get the boat to work very well with your drive.

I am sure there are exceptions...

What is your recommendation.

Chris

P.S. My fantasy boat would be a 30 or 32 skater with a pair of Arneson's and a pair of naturally aspirated 598's spinning about 6500 rpm.
Old 01-14-2011, 05:00 AM
Registered

Received 40 Likes on 22 Posts

Rik,
Arnesons may be the perfect solution for me. But the cost would be 46K plus install @ 5-7K and fiberglass work? With the SCX, I should have some margin of durability, not close to your drives. With the SCX, I have a safety net, if I can't get the combo right, I can go back to what I had easily.
If I sell the boat, or have to sell the boat, it would be money down the drain...... no one is going to get more than the average price of their hulls today. That drive system would be over 50 percent of the surveyed value of my boat. That would not be a good financial decision, not that any of these boats are a good decision. I showed the drives to my wife. She said that looks dangerous to swim. We boat with our kids and our tunnel tab is the best diving board.
When and if I build a new boat, I will probably use them if on a hull that they have been successful on. I have been able to buy some like new used drives and will have 1/3 of the cost of Arnesons doing this. You've got a great product and I think probably priced appropriately in this market but too much of a financial risk to take for me. You ought to get on a poker run circuit, I have never seen the arnesons in operation.
Old 01-15-2011, 01:49 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 217 Likes on 126 Posts

What's the largest diameter SSM prop you can run
on a SCX lower, set up with a big shaft ?

Being that it's already 2" shorter, I cant imagine you
can run anything too large.
Old 01-15-2011, 02:24 PM
Registered

I believe it was 16 inch as it was braught a while back.
Old 01-16-2011, 10:18 AM
Charter Member #601
Charter Member

Received 4 Likes on 3 Posts

Just measured the distance from center of propshaft to cavitation plate on the SCX lower is 8.5".

Dick
Old 01-16-2011, 10:22 AM
Registered

is that a -2 lower ?

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.