Notices

used #6

Old 03-08-2011, 07:54 PM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default used #6

Is there any way of telling what state a drive is in without a complete tear down .Local dealer wants 2k to disassemble / reassemble + parts .. ...Im thinking of purchasing this boat but it has 300 hrs without a rebuild on the drives ..suggestions ?
Old 03-08-2011, 08:06 PM
Registered

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

Pull the bottom plug and see if you get any water or metal particles. If you do, you've obviously got a problem. If not, then you don't know anything because the oil could have been just changed.

The only other thing I can think of that might help is drain the oil, and roll the drive over by hand. If any gear teeth are broken, you may feel it. Check the condition of the propshaft and the double cardan yokes, if off the boat. Any twist to the propshaft splines or cracks in the yokes indicate problems.

Other than that, I'd recommend having someone go through any drive you buy before you run it. I had MRD do my old SSMIII for $400 including an upper gear change, and then ran it for four years without touching it other than fluid.

P.S. Just looked back and realized you were talking about a #6. If it is a dry sump, I think the lower still has a sump of sorts.
Old 03-08-2011, 08:59 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by whataride
Is there any way of telling what state a drive is in without a complete tear down .Local dealer wants 2k to disassemble / reassemble + parts .. ...Im thinking of purchasing this boat but it has 300 hrs without a rebuild on the drives ..suggestions ?
It depends on how much power to weight ,fluid ,filter change intervals,prop size and prop shaft seal condition.300 hrs is way past tear down and inspection intervals for a 6 drive on any rig in my opinion.More than likely you will also need new pins and micro sleeves in gimbals as they get very sloppy after 150 hrs or so.
I no for us we change fluid every 25 hrs and prop shafts and seals when needed.We have also rebuilt our 6 drives 3 times in 300 hrs running 1200+ hp 11,000 lbs rig..
When I say we have rebuilt, Craig Colabella I believe rebuilt them twice and Randy did them last season .
Six drives are not indestructible and do require expensive maintenance to run safely and continuously especially in heavy big power rigs. We averaged about 10k every 100 hrs in six drive maintenance costs.
Good luck with the new rig!
Old 03-09-2011, 06:23 AM
Registered

The boat is 11,ooo pounds with 800 hp ..running on intercoastal river ...What is the life expectancy of the trannies ..Im new to this style of a set up and dont want to get burned ...
Old 03-09-2011, 11:23 AM
Registered

Originally Posted by WildWarrior
It depends on how much power to weight ,fluid ,filter change intervals,prop size and prop shaft seal condition.300 hrs is way past tear down and inspection intervals for a 6 drive on any rig in my opinion.More than likely you will also need new pins and micro sleeves in gimbals as they get very sloppy after 150 hrs or so.
I no for us we change fluid every 25 hrs and prop shafts and seals when needed.We have also rebuilt our 6 drives 3 times in 300 hrs running 1200+ hp 11,000 lbs rig..
When I say we have rebuilt, Craig Colabella I believe rebuilt them twice and Randy did them last season .
Six drives are not indestructible and do require expensive maintenance to run safely and continuously especially in heavy big power rigs. We averaged about 10k every 100 hrs in six drive maintenance costs.
Good luck with the new rig!
I assume that the 10 k is for both drives ?
Old 03-09-2011, 01:51 PM
Platinum Member
Platinum Member

Originally Posted by whataride
I assume that the 10 k is for both drives ?
Yes 10 k for both and we ran more than their power rating very hard for a lot of hrs.
As was stated on top of this tread that checking fluid with a magnet will tell the story as to emanate immediate metal to metal damage.
If it were me I would first shake drives and see how much slop you have as far as possible pin replacement and needed micro sleeve on assemblies.
That is before you even worry about the internals. Then see what the owners maintenance schedule was as far as these drives are concerned.
Factor in a tear down for sure and if they wobble when tugged on you have other costly issues before you even get inside. Nothing that cant be corrected however.
Once blown they are not cheap to repair!
Good luck!
Old 03-09-2011, 04:07 PM
Registered

Thanks for the info , at this point I think I will have them split open and inspected ..gimbals checked etc.. 4k is probably a lot less than what the costs of a blown 6 will cost

Can the trannies be checked in the boat ?