External Tie Bar or Not ? >

External Tie Bar or Not ?

Notices

External Tie Bar or Not ?

Old 04-03-2011, 08:12 AM
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default External Tie Bar or Not ?

I've tried searching a bunch of posts, so I apoligize if I could not find an answer to this post.

Have a 2008 Forumula 31PC, so basically a cruiser with relatively good power. Twin Merc 496 Mag, so 375 HP or so each, Bravo III drives...WOT around 50 MPH. Typically though I cruise, mid 30's all day long.

A few folks are telling me that I MUST add a external tie bar, as it will save my gimbal ring...not so much because of the speed, but because I boat in Lake Erie, and TONS of waves and rough water and this takes a toll on the drives over time.

So what are your thoughts ? Hate to waste the money if not needed, but if it DOES save my gimbal, then money well worth it...

IF this makes sense, I am then confused on one more item...seems the board thinks removing the internal tie bars are required first...however Merc Manual makes this statement. Thanks in advance for your thoughts!

IMPORTANT: Mercury Marine does not recommend the use of an external tie bar
ONLY with no internal tie bar when using the internal power steering system. This can
cause excessive loads on the steering components on the drive connected to the internal
power steering system. These increased loads can damage the steering components,
resulting in increased play in the steering of the boat
Old 04-03-2011, 11:45 AM
Crazy Energy
Platinum Member

Received 1 Like on 1 Post

At 30 to 50 MPH Id say your fine with the stock set-up and no tie bar. 70-80 MPH one tie-bar and 80-100 High Performance gimbles with upper & lower twin tie bars.
Attached Thumbnails External Tie Bar or Not ?-untitled-1.jpg  

Last edited by Velocity Vector; 04-03-2011 at 12:02 PM.
Old 04-03-2011, 12:23 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

You can probly get away without using an external tie bar but no doubt it will stiffen up the drives and save some wear. Keeping the internal bar will require that you raise and lower the drives together at the same time. Trying to do one at a time will break something. Short tie bars can be found for a reasonable price. I have a set of new Latham tie bar saddles for Bravo drives if you need them, sorry, no tie bar.
Old 04-03-2011, 06:11 PM
Registered

So one vote for and one vote against...

What does get away with using really mean? I guess there is really no black and white answer I suppose....

Any more feedback would be appreciated of course...
Old 04-03-2011, 07:28 PM
RIPSTA Racing Team
VIP Member

Get away with? What I mean is that there is a ton, probly litterally, of force back there against the drives. In and out, side to side, just maneuvering and powering. Combine that with wave and wake force and your talking about massive weight and power pounding against those gimble pivot points. The stiffer that you can make it the better IMO. The tie bar helps distribute the loads. Like the pic shown, dual tie bars, more support.
Old 04-03-2011, 09:09 PM
Registered

Ok, so I slightly misunderstood...meaning I was thinking you were sort of saying it really is NOT a big deal to NOT have them, so although yeah get them, but if not, no biggie...sorry bout that.

However, based on the additional details you provided...it seems like a no brainer to add the external tie bars.
Old 04-03-2011, 10:01 PM
Ginger or Mary Ann?
Charter Member

Received 5 Likes on 5 Posts

The outer bar will add a little rigidity to your steering, ties both drives together. As stated above, if you do decide to add one, make sure you always trim both drives the same. Never raise one w/o raising the other the same. Do not remove the inner bar w/o the installation of ext. hyd steering.

Last edited by US1 Fountain; 04-03-2011 at 10:03 PM.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:19 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by Velocity Vector
At 30 to 50 MPH Id say your fine with the stock set-up and no tie bar. 70-80 MPH one tie-bar and 80-100 High Performance gimbles with upper & lower twin tie bars.
Really? Is upper and lower needed at 100? I have not searched for it, nor have I even thought about 2. I have the lower and just rebuilt with chargers and hope to be in the triple digit area. LOL or somewhere close.
Old 04-05-2011, 03:46 PM
Registered

I honestly have NO IDEA what you need at 100...just quoted what the Merc manual states.

Best of luck and I am jealous of triple digits...maybe one day...
Old 04-05-2011, 04:17 PM
Registered

Yes - get one. It will help distribute the load on both gimbals and the upper steering shafts....

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.