Notices

gear lube

Old 04-07-2011, 02:37 PM
MrB
Registered

Received 0 Likes on 0 Posts
Default Gear Lube

Not sure why guys put engine oil in a drive unit ? the additive pak is different from gear oil, Gear oils have special additives that work to protect gears in mesh and offer protection to them. Would you put gear oil in your engine ?
The NEO Oil I here is used by the F-1 teams and many other top racing teams around the world, they have been doing it for 40yrs and Xtrac engineering in the UK uses and recomeneds for all trans,rear trans axles they build. It must be good to have that type of people using it over other brands.
We are putting in a twin outboard DCB this weekend over the qicksilver stuff. Between john at the Bravo Shop and George at All American Drive I say its worth the $$
Old 04-07-2011, 02:39 PM
MrB
Registered

Default why mix

why mix products together ? if a oil is made with top base oils and additives you don't need to do it.
Old 04-07-2011, 02:42 PM
Registered

Received 3 Likes on 3 Posts

Originally Posted by MrB
why mix products together ? if a oil is made with top base oils and additives you don't need to do it.
Duh! WINNING!
Old 04-07-2011, 02:59 PM
VIP Member
VIP Member

Received 217 Likes on 126 Posts

At the rate that some of us on here have gone through
XR upper gearsets, the stuff could be $ 100/qt.
and if it make those gears last, we would still
be money ahead.
Old 04-07-2011, 03:26 PM
Registered

Received 57 Likes on 31 Posts

I was buying XR gear sets every year,,, the weight of my boat and the HP/trq i run the gears would NOT last... every since i got this tip from Max Machine Worx they have lasted three seasons before needing to be replaced...thats a huge savings for mixing ....The Lucuas is an Additive not to be run on its own
Old 04-07-2011, 05:06 PM
Registered

Thanks for all the insight ,what Im trying to find out is What will give me rpm over the 75/90 marine amsoil .why would Teague use 10w40 mcf amsoil it must do somthing
Old 04-07-2011, 05:11 PM
Registered

Received 606 Likes on 275 Posts

Originally Posted by crayolacrazy
Thanks for all the insight ,what Im trying to find out is What will give me rpm over the 75/90 marine amsoil .why would Teague use 10w40 mcf amsoil it must do somthing
I respect Bob Teaque but he is sponsored by Amsoil and he sells it. That's why he uses it. (if indeed he does use it!)
Old 04-07-2011, 06:57 PM
Registered

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood
I respect Bob Teaque but he is sponsored by Amsoil and he sells it. That's why he uses it. (if indeed he does use it!)
Theres somthing to this 10 w 40 stuff Im going to have to put in one of my own drives . I have been using amsoil gear lube for ten years no complaints accept the price.I do change the fliud every 5 weekends or so Im also thinking of trying torco rtf
Old 04-07-2011, 08:39 PM
Registered

[QUOTE=thirdchildhood;3371168]I respect Bob Teaque but he is sponsored by Amsoil and he sells it. That's why he uses it. (if indeed he does use it!)[/QUOTE

First of all, he uses it cause it works. Most people don't realize, on an oil weight scale, and 20w-50 Motor Oil is virtually the same weight as a 75w-90 Gear Oil. But since the AMSOIL's 10w-40 Motorcycle Oil has a GL-1 Gear Oil rating, Teague uses it because it lets the gears move with just that much less resistance.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/visc.html

Its also why Harley Davidson recommends the same fluid in all three reservoirs of their motorcycles. However, motor oil won't last as long in a gear case, due to shearing at the molecular level, but it will work for a duration of time.
Old 04-07-2011, 10:23 PM
Registered

Received 115 Likes on 63 Posts

Originally Posted by JasonSmith
Yes I am! John gave you a different weight didn't he? Like a 50-60 or something like that.
I cant remember what weight it is. I ll look at it when i get back from KC. Im interested to see the difference in running temps. I know my BT makes a good test boat for this just b/c of the weight alone, and maybe my drinking/throttling.....

No matter what oil anyone choses, at least give John at the Bravo Shop a call. He's a very knowledgable man and is willing to help anyone he can.

Contact Us - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service

Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Use of this site indicates your consent to the Terms of Use.