Offshoreonly.com

Offshoreonly.com (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/)
-   Drives and Lower Units (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units-217/)
-   -   gear lube (https://www.offshoreonly.com/forums/drives-lower-units/250799-gear-lube.html)

crayolacrazy 04-05-2011 04:33 PM

gear lube

I have read that Teague uses amsoil 10 w 40 mcf in his no.6,s I read on amsoils web that this is equal to 80 /90 weight gear lube .So I wonder if this can be used in a bravo ?

crayolacrazy 04-05-2011 06:47 PM

tt

crayolacrazy 04-06-2011 06:31 AM

tt

Fountain4402 04-06-2011 07:46 AM

i doubt a 10-40 would be as equal as an 80-90. I to am looking for a cheaer subsitute. I want to buy the best but for some reason I feel as if I just waste money because thats what people have always bought

minxguy 04-06-2011 07:56 AM

The two fluids are only equal from a viscosity standpoint.

A 10w40 engine oil will have a similar pour rate, or viscositiy as an 80w gear oil oil at 210 F.

They do however contain different additive packages.

I am guessing that Teauge is using a 10w40 because of its low drag.

I am not familar with the gears/layout in a Number 6 drive, but if the layout is the same as a bravo, I don't know why it wouldn"t work.

Ken

Knot 4 Me 04-06-2011 08:11 AM

Dry sump and no cone clutch in a #6 drive.

TW720HVY 04-06-2011 08:25 AM

If you are interested in researching gear oil I would suggest giving this company a call and talk to John.....

http://bravoshop.net/

He spoke for 45 minutes and taught me a lot about gear oil and the product that he carries. It is worth the call and product sounds like it will be completely worth it.

thirdchildhood 04-06-2011 08:27 AM

Teaque sells amsoil.............
I'm sticking with Quicksilver high performance gear lube.

Knot 4 Me 04-06-2011 08:42 AM

Originally Posted by TW720HVY (Post 3369765)
If you are interested in researching gear oil I would suggest giving this company a call and talk to John.....

http://bravoshop.net/

He spoke for 45 minutes and taught me a lot about gear oil and the product that he carries. It is worth the call and product sounds like it will be completely worth it.

$80/gallon. Pricey.

TW720HVY 04-06-2011 09:35 AM

Originally Posted by Knot 4 Me (Post 3369783)
$80/gallon. Pricey.

True.. but I believe it will out preform anything that is available to the general public.

We will see... they are wanting an oil sample at the end of the season so they can track usage and trending.

It will either be the best $90 or worst $90 I ever spent for my lower unit. :drink:

JasonSmith 04-06-2011 09:50 AM

The Bravo Shop oil is where it is at. I can hook you up if you need some.

drpete3 04-06-2011 11:13 AM

Originally Posted by JasonSmith (Post 3369879)
The Bravo Shop oil is where it is at. I can hook you up if you need some.

Can you elaborate on quality?

Fountain4402 04-06-2011 01:03 PM

doubting that price tag is worth it

Coolerman 04-06-2011 01:07 PM

Give John at the Bravo shop a call about his oil. I have spent numerous hours with him on the phone, and he really has his stuff together.

crayolacrazy 04-06-2011 07:32 PM

its amsoil 10 w 40 MCF google this,I have been using amsoil75/90 marine gearlube and Im happy with it .just poking around with this I would like to pick up another 100 R,s. Im also wondering if torco RTF would give me some r,s over what Im using.

martins custom marin 04-06-2011 09:11 PM

alisyn aerospace lubricants offers there pro 21 marine gear lube, I have had good luck with it, would also reccomend lucas products use there engine oil. I have seen some motors on amsoil that had catastrofic faliure that lead bac k to oil issues .

JasonSmith 04-06-2011 10:04 PM

I'd really consider the NEO that The Bravo shop has. That stuff is what is going to change the way we are all thinking about Bravo failures (I hope)

endeavor1 04-06-2011 10:12 PM

I run the NEO oil from the Bravo shop in my 43 BT. Seems to be great stuff. I am installing drive temp guages asap and will post pixs and results of a drive with NEO oil in it vs. a Merc gear lube.

Jason, are you doing the same in you boat?

JasonSmith 04-06-2011 10:13 PM

Originally Posted by endeavor1 (Post 3370564)
I run the NEO oil from the Bravo shop in my 43 BT. Seems to be great stuff. I am installing drive temp guages asap and will post pixs and results of a drive with NEO oil in it vs. a Merc gear lube.

Jason, are you doing the same in you boat?

Yes I am! John gave you a different weight didn't he? Like a 50-60 or something like that.

JaayTeee 04-07-2011 11:59 AM

Originally Posted by JasonSmith (Post 3370559)
That stuff is what is going to change the way we are all thinking about Bravo failures (I hope)

I hope so, too;)

47EXCALIBUR 04-07-2011 12:47 PM

if you want the drive gears to last longer ie,,, pitting and cracks to stop... we run Amsoil 75/90 severe gear with a blend of Lucas engine treatment,,,this will stop the premature failures of gears especialy XR gears... i ran one drive with Merc HP gear lube and the other with Amsoil/Lucas mix to test and see the results. both Bravos with new gears, fresh rebuilds,, at the end of the season 50hrs about,,, i took both drives apart.... the drive with the Merc gear oil needed new gears (pitting wear marks) the Amsoil/Lucas drive did not need new gears ,, no sign of wear..... most of the outdrive shops/vendors repackage this combination and resell it as their own "special" blend....... mix one quart of Lucas with 4 quarts of Amsoil 75/90 severe gear

JasonSmith 04-07-2011 01:57 PM

Originally Posted by 47EXCALIBUR (Post 3370978)
if you want the drive gears to last longer ie,,, pitting and cracks to stop... we run Amsoil 75/90 severe gear with a blend of Lucas engine treatment,,,this will stop the premature failures of gears especialy XR gears... i ran one drive with Merc HP gear lube and the other with Amsoil/Lucas mix to test and see the results. both Bravos with new gears, fresh rebuilds,, at the end of the season 50hrs about,,, i took both drives apart.... the drive with the Merc gear oil needed new gears (pitting wear marks) the Amsoil/Lucas drive did not need new gears ,, no sign of wear..... most of the outdrive shops/vendors repackage this combination and resell it as their own "special" blend....... mix one quart of Lucas with 4 quarts of Amsoil 75/90 severe gear

Never heard of anyone doing that. It would be interesting to mix some up & test it against the NEO.

MrB 04-07-2011 02:37 PM

Gear Lube

Not sure why guys put engine oil in a drive unit ? the additive pak is different from gear oil, Gear oils have special additives that work to protect gears in mesh and offer protection to them. Would you put gear oil in your engine ?
The NEO Oil I here is used by the F-1 teams and many other top racing teams around the world, they have been doing it for 40yrs and Xtrac engineering in the UK uses and recomeneds for all trans,rear trans axles they build. It must be good to have that type of people using it over other brands.
We are putting in a twin outboard DCB this weekend over the qicksilver stuff. Between john at the Bravo Shop and George at All American Drive I say its worth the $$

MrB 04-07-2011 02:39 PM

why mix

why mix products together ? if a oil is made with top base oils and additives you don't need to do it.

JasonSmith 04-07-2011 02:42 PM

Originally Posted by MrB (Post 3371058)
why mix products together ? if a oil is made with top base oils and additives you don't need to do it.

Duh! WINNING!:drink::drink::drink:

JaayTeee 04-07-2011 02:59 PM

At the rate that some of us on here have gone through
XR upper gearsets, the stuff could be $ 100/qt.
and if it make those gears last, we would still
be money ahead.;)

47EXCALIBUR 04-07-2011 03:26 PM

I was buying XR gear sets every year,,, the weight of my boat and the HP/trq i run the gears would NOT last... every since i got this tip from Max Machine Worx they have lasted three seasons before needing to be replaced...thats a huge savings for mixing ....The Lucuas is an Additive not to be run on its own

crayolacrazy 04-07-2011 05:06 PM

Thanks for all the insight ,what Im trying to find out is What will give me rpm over the 75/90 marine amsoil .why would Teague use 10w40 mcf amsoil it must do somthing

thirdchildhood 04-07-2011 05:11 PM

Originally Posted by crayolacrazy (Post 3371163)
Thanks for all the insight ,what Im trying to find out is What will give me rpm over the 75/90 marine amsoil .why would Teague use 10w40 mcf amsoil it must do somthing

I respect Bob Teaque but he is sponsored by Amsoil and he sells it. That's why he uses it. (if indeed he does use it!)

crayolacrazy 04-07-2011 06:57 PM

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood (Post 3371168)
I respect Bob Teaque but he is sponsored by Amsoil and he sells it. That's why he uses it. (if indeed he does use it!)

Theres somthing to this 10 w 40 stuff Im going to have to put in one of my own drives . I have been using amsoil gear lube for ten years no complaints accept the price.I do change the fliud every 5 weekends or so Im also thinking of trying torco rtf

07DominatorSS 04-07-2011 08:39 PM

[QUOTE=thirdchildhood;3371168]I respect Bob Teaque but he is sponsored by Amsoil and he sells it. That's why he uses it. (if indeed he does use it!)[/QUOTE

First of all, he uses it cause it works. Most people don't realize, on an oil weight scale, and 20w-50 Motor Oil is virtually the same weight as a 75w-90 Gear Oil. But since the AMSOIL's 10w-40 Motorcycle Oil has a GL-1 Gear Oil rating, Teague uses it because it lets the gears move with just that much less resistance.
http://www.bobistheoilguy.com/visc.html

Its also why Harley Davidson recommends the same fluid in all three reservoirs of their motorcycles. However, motor oil won't last as long in a gear case, due to shearing at the molecular level, but it will work for a duration of time.

endeavor1 04-07-2011 10:23 PM

Originally Posted by JasonSmith (Post 3370565)
Yes I am! John gave you a different weight didn't he? Like a 50-60 or something like that.

I cant remember what weight it is. I ll look at it when i get back from KC. Im interested to see the difference in running temps. I know my BT makes a good test boat for this just b/c of the weight alone, and maybe my drinking/throttling..... :lolhit:

No matter what oil anyone choses, at least give John at the Bravo Shop a call. He's a very knowledgable man and is willing to help anyone he can.

xhere 04-08-2011 06:02 PM

Just had my drive rebuilt by George at all american drive and he recommended his drive oil, which is 80 bucks a gallon...Im not sure what type of oil it is. It was in a unmarked container and is clear with a slight yellow tint..I am using it so hopefully its good stuff!

pacalim1965@yaho 04-08-2011 07:52 PM

I think john calles it snake oil ....

thirdchildhood 04-08-2011 08:42 PM

It's threads like this where everyone has their own concoction but there is little agreement on what is best that make me stick with Quicksilver lubricants.:bigbird:

articfriends 04-09-2011 12:57 AM

I wouldn't be opposed to trying the NEO brand oil as it looks promising:
http://www.neosyntheticoil.com/
As far as the rest of the oils out there and someone mentioning mixing Amsoil severe gear with lucas oil stabilizer: So far that mix has netted the most positive results in bravo one lower gear life in my own personal testing behind a 1000 + hp/1000+ ft lbs of tq. Aaron and Jason at Max machine worxx get the credit for coming up with that oil mix, they have also done exstensive testing and found this to work very well for them.
As far as 80$ a gallon for the Neo oil, if it kept your gears or bearings from failing it would be WELL worth the price. The guys that are running 500 horse power or less that run stock drive oil without any drama are NOT going to understand why anyone would buy 80$ a gallon oil! I will probably try some myself as i am putting a new set of cryoed/isoe'd/treated gears in my lower unit as soon as they come back from processing , Smitty

thirdchildhood 04-09-2011 09:28 AM

It's not the price, it's the lack of a general consensus of what is best. The Quiksilver stuff isn't cheap either at $17 a quart.

crayolacrazy 04-09-2011 05:13 PM

Originally Posted by articfriends (Post 3372325)
I wouldn't be opposed to trying the NEO brand oil as it looks promising:
http://www.neosyntheticoil.com/
As far as the rest of the oils out there and someone mentioning mixing Amsoil severe gear with lucas oil stabilizer: So far that mix has netted the most positive results in bravo one lower gear life in my own personal testing behind a 1000 + hp/1000+ ft lbs of tq. Aaron and Jason at Max machine worxx get the credit for coming up with that oil mix, they have also done exstensive testing and found this to work very well for them.
As far as 80$ a gallon for the Neo oil, if it kept your gears or bearings from failing it would be WELL worth the price. The guys that are running 500 horse power or less that run stock drive oil without any drama are NOT going to understand why anyone would buy 80$ a gallon oil! I will probably try some myself as i am putting a new set of cryoed/isoe'd/treated gears in my lower unit as soon as they come back from processing , Smitty

My whole reason starting this post was to find out why Teague uses 10 w 40 mcf in his no 6,s he wins alot of races with no drive failure. it must work . I did call him and Adrian dance around the question .07 Dominater explained it best.

Irishtornado 04-09-2011 05:28 PM

Originally Posted by thirdchildhood (Post 3372449)
It's not the price, it's the lack of a general consensus of what is best. The Quiksilver stuff isn't cheap either at $17 a quart.

Your getting hosed for non synthetic oil at that price. Shouldn't be more than 12.00 and thats high.

There is nothing synthetic about Mercury drive lube.

Irishtornado 04-09-2011 05:30 PM

I ran Amsoil Severe Gear in my drive last year with 500efi's the oil was dark but no metal shavings on magnet. I don't put alot of hours on my boat either though.

Running Bravo X drives.